My Pandemic Project: Pond Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I spent a lot of time on forums (including this one!) and YouTube sorting out what and how I wanted to build my pond. I have to admit there were some changes along the way and I'm not 100% I would tackle this again on my own. It was A LOT of work. It does feel good to have it built now though!

For our "pandemic project" I built a pond using what would have been our vacation funds since that was canceled. It's ~500 gallons (6'x12'x18") with a 1' waterfall and 1' mini-stream over small rocks to help oxygenate the water. It has a Savio skimmer with OASE pump and Pressure filter good for 2K GPH. I didn't rock the walls or bottom of the pond to make it easier to clean, but it does have a rock boarder holding down the liner. I have three lights installed one of which is half in/out of the water to light up the waterfall at night. You can actually spot it in the last pick in the middle of the pond. It gets 3-4 hours of sun in the morning and we are enjoying coming up with plants that will work in the space as much as we like picking out the goldfish to swim in the pond. Albeit finding plants that do well with that little sun is a challenge. I know it doesn't look like it, but that's over 4 tons of rock!
yes.gif

Attachments

• Pond Build 1.JPG
    Pond Build 1.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Pond Build 2.JPG
    Pond Build 2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Pond Build 3.JPG
    Pond Build 3.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Pond Build 4.JPG
    Pond Build 4.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Bond Build 5.JPG
    Bond Build 5.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Pond Picture.JPG
    Pond Picture.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 102

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice build! It is looking great. Fantails would be great fish for your pond, they stay small breed slowly. Or for color get some shubunkins but they breed faster and more. You can also get shubunkin colored fantails.

My 9 fantails have made 4 babies in 2 years. I also do not feed them during spawning so a lot of the eggs get eaten.
20210418_115433.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
build a structure a couple 4x4's in the corners drape net to the roof of the house so its open to the porch

Ask a Question