my pet koi fish has passed away this winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Blackdog128 said:
i just got the call my koi fish passed away this winter with the winter temps hitting -20 degrees killed her :(
Blackdog my friend Elaine who lives up in Fort Saint John used to get this all the time till she couldn't take it anymore.....
I suggested moving her koi and goldfish indoors during the bitterly cold weather.
She reports temeratures of - 24c with a windchill of -54c .brrrrrr cold..........
The problem was that the bitter cold was frying her koi's gills and they couldnt cope with what they had left........................
Since moving her koi indoors durng the winter in her Hubbys workshop she hasn't lost one they live at a constant 11c , she is able to feed and they respond really well to this .
With alott of careful planning prior to the move you shouldnt have any problems

rgrds

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear about your fish loss, but I think the toxic gases that built up under the ice hurt the fishes gills and kill more fishes than ice cold water. My Koi fish have been outside for over 22 years in the same cold tempertures but my koi fish have never died because I keep the pumps running and a heater when that cold to keep a hole open in the ice. Currently my pond water temperure is barely 33 degrees, as it is most of the time in the winter, and my fish do not get injured gills. This is because I have large open holes in the ice and running water. Pond Heater has not been plugged in for several weeks now and the temperatures are nice for us this time of the year.

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
i had her in a pond that was not being look after right this winter the owners was gone not thinking this was going to be a bad winter and i got the news yesterday the koi fish was dead and so was there other fish they had and the turtles as well was all gone he asked if i wanted the koi back i told him to go ahead and depose of her body :( he buried her in his back yard says if i want to come by to see the grave he would let me i been crying my eyes out asking my self why did i put her in a small pond when i did not know they was gioing to az then i would never see my koi alive again she was 14 inchs when he removed her from the pond lay her out and measured her ::(

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That is just terrible news black dog, think they should have told you they were leaving town and abandoning the ponds! I sure hope you have a few words for them, cause I sure would be mad! Why did you take them out of your pond?
Hope you find nice replacement koi to cheer you up! :)

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
that is just it i don't have my own pond yet :( i thought she was going to be well care for thsi winter not left to die iam kicking my self in the ass over this iam hoping to get a new asgie just her soon say in a few months time so i can start all over again

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well don't beat yourself up cause it's not your fault, spring is just around the corner now and pretty flowers will be everywhere. Now is the time to get things together for a fresh new start. Hopes it all works out better for you this year Black Dog! :)

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
thank you for them words i will help me re focus my dreams of having a koi pond this year then i will get 2 koi fish and see how big i can grow them. that is all i want is to grow 2 koi fish :) ty ty ty that is my life long dream is to grow 2 koi fish as long as i can :) the new pond will be at least 5 feet deep and most likly 12 feet across and round so they can keep moving in a forward without having to stop and back up :)

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
as soon as i can find a good koi like her i will post a pic of it up on here so keep your eyes open to new pics from me :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry! I never knew how easy it was to become attached to fish, but I just lost 2 that got in my floating skimmer....... I hadn't known them long (pond is just under a year old), but I feel the loss!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Probably a good idea to wait until you have a pond before you get more. That way you can keep an eye on them yourself!
John

Ask a Question