My plants are being sucked into my skimmer LOL

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Any suggestions ? I only run my skimmer in the morning for an hour an eve for an hour cause its so damn powerful! Definitely oversized for my pond. So my hyacinths are being sucked all the way from the other side into the skimmer box. What do I do?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Make a planter ring [instructions on this site] to contain them. You can anchor the ring to keep it from getting near the skimmer. Depending on the size and shape of your pond, you could also run a "line" of some sort across the pond -- it would need to be JUST submerged enough to act as a barricade to hold the plants back. I discovered this accidently, when I had to tie off my floating [Oase] skimmer to keep it in one place. I used a black, thick, slightly stretchy craft cording that's mainly used for making jewelry. Tied one end to the bottom of the skimmer [they provide places for that purpose] and ran the other end across the pond and secured it to a piece of PVC pipe that's a part of my "turtle" fencing. I noticed that the cording, while hidden, actually did keep stuff from floating past.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see where a lot on here put a basket in front of the skimmer to keep the plants away

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use boating rope since it floats and section off part of my pond to keep the hyacinths and lettuce at bay. Just a knot in it and wedge it in a rock on the side of your pond do the same thing with the other end. I can expand or contract as they grow. A planter ring was just to small and didn't give me the flexibility I need.

Ask a Question