My Platnium Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Finally managed a decent picture of the new platinum. Doing very well so far, taken with the iPhone

image.jpg

Reaction score
Wow! Gorgeous!!!!

Not sure if I mentioned I got ANOTHER one and the heron ate him. No more new koi for me. In fact no more new fish. Praying the ones I have make it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ghost Koi would have grey or black markings in the face and back. That's a Platinum, very nice one I might add. Unfortunately one of the easiest fish for predators to spot so protect it well. May it live to be a ripe old age and grow large and flowing for you! .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am so jealous I can't stand it!!! It is very beautiful and I'm so happy for you. Me on the other hand....no platinum koi and must figure out what to do with 20 + koi fry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a beautiful long finned white goldfish, darn owl took it at night............assume owl it disappeared over night, never have raccoon issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly determines it is a Matsuba? Is it just a solid color with metallic scales? Is this yellow fish a Matsuba too?

Sorry its not the best photo its just one that I had on hand.
Matsuba are koi that combine a solid, metallic colored base with a black net pattern. The base color of Matsuba can vary. Gin Matsuba have a white base color, while Ki Matsuba have a yellow base color, and Aka Matsuba have a red base.
Matsuba.jpeg

So that gives you your colours as far as I know there arent anymore variations of colour but I have something thats like a cross Matsuba + somthing else not sure which :LOL:
It is Orange in colour which itself is a nice koi to have he has an orange top half then just under the lateral line it turns into a brilliant white :cool:
However there is a sole variation of Matsuba which is the Doitsu Matsuba. which obviousely have less scales than a normal scaled koi.
They are very much like a leather or scaleless koi, but have dark scales :cool:
The dark scales run either side of the dorsal from the head then around the dorsal to the tail and are jet black, however in shows any scales running past the gill plates are considered a demerit when you show them but the are indeed beautiful fish in their own right :happy:
So there you have it Zman all I know about the Matsuba and Douitsu so I hope it helps you when looking for a decent Matsuba :happy: (y)

Dave ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think I"m finally getting a platinum koi! Someone about 2 hours from here is selling part of their collection. It is not a butterfly, but looks beautiful:) It's possible I may get a small butter fly too.

I have to finalize details and figure out some things....but it looks promising:)

Ask a Question