My pond 4 bio filters not enough, need help.

Reaction score
My pond is 3,600 Gallons I have 2, 250 gallon bio filters and 2, 100 gallon bio
Filters , a Uv pump at 800 gallons an hour, 4 air stone's 2 small water falls and 1 BIG water fall. that are hooked up to a filter pump with a flow rate of 750 gallons, I have 45-65% plant coverage,and a few koi

My question is, why is my pond always green I can't even see my hand a foot down. What do I do next I want to stay away from chemicals. Please help

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like you to introduce yourself first in the intro thread!

Check the diy section for filters you can make, they work well

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What is your total pumping rate? I see in your post one 800gph pump, and one 750gph pump. In a 3600 gallon pond you really need to be pumping between 3600gph and 5000gph of total volumne to keep the oxygen levels up and to creat good circulation. Not all that needs to go through the filters but just from the short post I would say you need to get more water circulation and higher oxygen, also do you have any clue what the bottom of the pond looks like? If there is a bunch of buildup on the bottom from decaying plants, algae, and poop then that will need to be addressed to slow the nutrients down that are feeding the algae.

Reaction score
Welcome and I hope we can get you on the right track. There are a few questions I have for you.

Do you test your water? What are the nitrAtes at?
How many fish do you have in the pond?
Is it in full sun? Partial or full shade?
What type of media are your plants in? Gravel, clay or soil?
What type of filter media do you have?

With 4 filters that big. Do you have a ton of fish in it? In most cases you can use one 55 gallon barrel for every 2000 gallons. 2 would be all you would really need unless you are way over stocked. Also, the type of filter media you have can greatly reduce the cleaning power if it is not used right.

For example. If you have ceramic media in all your filters, but never clean or prefilter the water. Then they clog very fast and basically become a block of nothingness and no longer supports enough bacteria to feed on the alge.

Reaction score
I have 12 fish in all, 9 are 3-4in and 3 are 6-8in.
The pond is in full sun right now but gets some shade plants are in gravel+clay
The nitrates I'm not sure on, the Ph is 7.4-8.4, I know the filters are not ceramic the temperature of the water is 88F, the uv is brand new I'll test the water nitrate level and let you know are ammonia level is extremely low to non existent . Hope that helps

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must have been out in the sun to long pondkid, I missed you saying you had all those filters. How long has your pond been up and running? Have the filters had time to get good bacteria going? In other words is your pond cycling?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww pondkid your pond is cycling, patience is the best thing to have with a new one. The bio filters need to kick in get good bacteria growing. I have read up to 8 weeks.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Pondkid. It sounds to me like you've got more than enough filtration for your pond. The questions I would ask is:

Are they upflow or downflow filters?
How often do you have to clean the bio-media?
Do you make water changes from the bottom of your pond?
How much and how often?
How many fish are in your pond and their approximate size?

I've got a great diagram and pictures on how to make a downflow filter and you never have to clean the bio-media, only the window screening at the top of the filter and backwash the filter with at least a 2" outtake about every four to six weeks.

I'm pretty sure the diagrams are on this site in the do it yourself column.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
PondKid, you should have more than enough filters for your pond but here are a few questions for you.

How often do you have to clean your filter?
Do you make water changes from the bottom of the pond?
If so, how much and how often?
How many fish are in the pond and their approximate size?
How often do you feed your fish?
Is there corn in the first five ingredients of your fish food?
How many plants in your pond are planted in soil?
Do you have oxygenators.

I've got a great diagram of a downflow bio-filter and step by step pictures of this filter that Addy put in the do it yourself section.

You never have to clean the bio-media, all you have to do is backwash and once in a while clean the window screening at the top of the filter which traps debris from the pond.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
It has taken me almost 5 years to get clear water without the help of a uv or chemicals. You need good circulation as mentioned and a clean pond bottom. Do you have a bottom drain? They are very helpfull. Also adding plants will help. I finally have clear water in the summertime which I haven't had since I started. My pond is in direct sun. Also make some of the DIY planter rings to float in the pond. They will help keep the pond shaded some. It sound like your filters are fine you just need to turn more water volume.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad yours is clear, mine has been since the get go, but I do have a large bog, lots of plants. It has been great to have no algae issues, clear water with no input from me, the plants and bog do a great job.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Koidaddy, it was the same thing with us, taking about five years to find a bio-filter that did the job properly with very little maintenance.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Ask a Question