My Pond and Algea Growth Advice

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted. I finaley got 2 green frogs that came to live in my pond, very exciting for me.

My pond water is so clear that it is like a glass of drinking water. If one were to put a needle in the bottom of the pond you could easily see it.

Now for my problem and concern, I'm getting algea growth on my rocks and sides. It sort of looks like cotton, would this be considered string algae? It dosen't come off very easily when pulled. Should I do anything about it? At one time it over powered my lilly so bad I had to remove the plant and clean it becasue it seemed like the new leaves couldn't grow through it. It seems to be about 1-2 inches prodruding from my rocks etc.

Being a newbie I'm just alittle concerned

Thanks for any advice

David

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its not gonna hurt anything ..its pulling out the excess nitrates that your plants arent getting.... and yes, it is a filamentous or string algea..

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
David this type of algae that grows on the side of your pond, rocks and bottom is not bad for your pond, leave it alone won't hurt anything.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it's so thick that your lily can't push through it, try using barley straw or one of the barley products. This will not kill off the algae, but will stop more from growing. Since it's fairly late in the season, and the straw takes time to start working, the liquid would be your best bet. John

Ask a Question