My pond and stream project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I really like the set up of the preform pond feeding the bog!
Thanks - I have to say I'm rather proud of that since it's the one part of the project that was entirely my own invention :) - I suppose somebody may have thought of it before, but if so but I'm not aware of so I will continue to be inordinately pleased with myself and the fact that it appears to be working (so far, at least).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So very nice of you to say that @stevekind . Mine is just a simple pond w/various goldfish. Had to resort to netting it tho to keep out the heron.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So very nice of you to say that @stevekind . Mine is just a simple pond w/various goldfish. Had to resort to netting it tho to keep out the heron.
Your pond is beautiful - the amount and variety of plants you have in it is impressive. We have started looking at plants - but February in the North of England is not a good time for planting! - Mid March is more appropriate.We have a dwarf juncus that we've saved in a tub from the marshy area of the old pond, and there is a march marigold in there somewhere if we can find it. The iris pseodocarpus that destroyed the old pond will definitely NOT be going into this one - we may try and keep it captive in a tub of it's own because it is very impressive when in bloom. I want Typha Minima and cotton grass, and a lily - which I've always wanted. but beyond that it's a learning curve.

Not going to be keeping fish - the first frog took up residence yesterday, and we're hoping for a lot more as the weather warms up. Hopefully they will be impressed by their new , spacious accommodation. ;) - There are grey heron in our area, but I think our garden is a bit too enclosed for them to come down to - I am hoping for dragonfly though. In the past we have occasionally seen them flying through, but the old pond didn't have a clear enough approach for them and they never landed or bred in it.

Tpmorrow is forecast heavy rain - Saturday gale force winds. Sunday, hopefully, I shall start work on the stream bed :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have fun gathering plants and working on your stream. Ponds are always a work in progress. Seems tweaking is the fun part and keeps us busy. One thing about having even just a couple fish is they keep the skeeters gone. Even some tiny minnow type fish will do that and the heron may not be able to see or catch them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Last night, the frogs arrived in numbers! We counted at least a dozen. They were staying away from the bog filter overspill which is where there is most turbulence. Similarly , none chose to hop in to the mini pond where the water is swirling all the time. All according to plan then. Hopefully the main force will arrive over the next few days if the weather stays mild. We frequently counted over 50 in the old pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen 2 barn owls here so they are out looking for food .I guess they are hungry like all the other critters here .We have had a lot of male cardinals around here lately

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
lovely building there and some great ideas also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your compliments @steeledeal @cas and @doobry . Here we are in April and the pond, stream, bogfilter plus associated landscaping are all finished (apart from a few tweaks ;) ) Just waiting for the plants for in and around to be ready. Will post a final set of pics when they arrive and I get them planted :) Very encouraged by the fact that the Juncus, ransoms, creeping jenny and bistort that I have already put in are all doing really well :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is looking great! The plants once started will grow gang busters.

Ask a Question