My pond has a new friend, how to get rid of a snake?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I haven't been posting for a while, with summer, kids are taking my time. But we have a problem I wasn't expecting. I think it a yellow Belly black snake, but it has some markings on it. It's killing the toads, which I totally don't mind. But it also killed the crawfish! It loves my filter which I have to pull out the water to clean. How do I get him out? He likes to hide in the folds of the pond and the waterfall. I tried to net him, but he's fast. Any thoughts? Oh and besides him, my pond still looks great. I still have clear water and happy fish. Well happy till mister snake eats them. But there are an overwhelming amount of toad tadpoles. They have replaced most of the green frogs we had been seeing. Any thoughts? Look close at this picture I disturbed his dinner.

Attachments

• 20170602_092010.jpg
    20170602_092010.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 487
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6311.PNG
So I haven't been posting for a while, with summer, kids are taking my time. But we have a problem I wasn't expecting. I think it a yellow Belly black snake, but it has some markings on it. It's killing the toads, which I totally don't mind. But it also killed the crawfish! It loves my filter which I have to pull out the water to clean. How do I get him out? He likes to hide in the folds of the pond and the waterfall. I tried to net him, but he's fast. Any thoughts? Oh and besides him, my pond still looks great. I still have clear water and happy fish. Well happy till mister snake eats them. But there are an overwhelming amount of toad tadpoles. They have replaced most of the green frogs we had been seeing. Any thoughts? Look close at this picture I disturbed his dinner.

My best advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last summer I had gardner snakes in my water fall and they'd bask on my lily pads. I read they want to avoid us, so to visit the pond frequently ....I'd stomp my feet as I made my way! I also removed thick plantings I had around the waterfall, as I read they like brush.

I haven't seen them this summer....knock on wood. Not sure if this advice applies to water snakes. I was surprised to see the gardner snakes actually swimming around in the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Last summer I had gardner snakes in my water fall and they'd bask on my lily pads. I read they want to avoid us, so to visit the pond frequently ....I'd stomp my feet as I made my way! I also removed thick plantings I had around the waterfall, as I read they like brush.

I haven't seen them this summer....knock on wood. Not sure if this advice applies to water snakes. I was surprised to see the gardner snakes actually swimming around in the pond!
Today when I was cleaning the pond he actually touch me. I belive he was at the very edge and I caught him off guard when i reached for the fliter cord. Anyway I poke at him trying to make him leave, we later found him back in the waterfall. I don't hate snakes, but he's not gonna leave til he kills everything. Or thats my fear. My pond is in the most active part of the yard. We see him almost every day now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a minnow trap and bait it with toads. Snakes don't like to be in open when traveling, so place trap against rock, wall in pathway he travels. Good Luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Get a minnow trap and bait it with toads. Snakes don't like to be in open when traveling, so place trap against rock, wall in pathway he travels. Good Luck
Wouldn't have thought about a minnow trap. I just watch a youtube video of one catching snakes. Awesome idea. Just have to figure a way for my fish not to get in too. Maybe a large net under it that the snake can climb over. Thanks, I'll post and let you know if I catch him this weekend.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it's non-venomous, just chase it, catch it, put it in a plastic container, and bring it to a wetland. Piece of cake!

I know, easier said than done! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So far I've taken Nyboys advice. In the picture that hole by the waterfall is where the snake seems to stay. In the minnow trap I have some dog food and a chicken egg. I have it just high enough that the fish can't swim in. If this doesn't work I will try and catch a toad as bait. But there was a youtube video showing the guy catching snakes just like this with a egg.

Attachments

• 20170609_180700.jpg
    20170609_180700.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 430

Ask a Question