My pond has a new friend, how to get rid of a snake?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Got him. He didn't go in the trap, but he was right by it, so I just scooped him up. He's been relocated to a canal. Where I hope he stays. Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

• 20170610_143725.jpg
    20170610_143725.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah! So Glad you are a catch and release. I know some will just kill.
Yep my daughter will not allow us to kill a bug, let alone a snake. She loves all critters equally. Anyway, if he didn't eat the fish, he was a pretty cool find. We still wonder how a water snake found our pond, the closest canal is over 2 blocks away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ever figure out what kind of snake it is?
Well, non-poisonous by its thin neck and round eyes. I'm guessing a diamondback water snake, or a yellow belly water snake. You can't tell in the pictures, but it's a dark gray with some markings, and a yellow underside. I think it's young too. So I know juveniles can look different then adults.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, non-poisonous by its thin neck and round eyes. I'm guessing a diamondback water snake, or a yellow belly water snake. You can't tell in the pictures, but it's a dark gray with some markings, and a yellow underside. I think it's young too. So I know juveniles can look different then adults.
Here in the south, we call them RattleHeadedCopperMocasins.... Just sayin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have snakes, very seldom see them. The rat and black snakes are around 5-6 feet long, every now and then see one in the yard. One time a brown snake in the pond, not sure what kind, just plain brown.

I leave them alone, they do a good job at controlling some of the mice etc we have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We have snakes, very seldom see them. The rat and black snakes are around 5-6 feet long, every now and then see one in the yard. One time a brown snake in the pond, not sure what kind, just plain brown.

I leave them alone, they do a good job at controlling some of the mice etc we have.
I was going to leave him there, but he started to eat the fish. One of our gold fish has a long story that started years ago after a neighbor won him at a fair. The kids helped dig this pond for him. I couldn't let him become a snakes dinner so quickly. Lol. But the snake was neat to watch.

Ask a Question