My pond has an official Body Count.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
See my intro for an explanation of the posting title. It's 100% true. I'm not proud of it.

So, I have zero aquaculture experience, and this unspeakable, smelly THING in my backyard which I am determined to tackle. The neighbors are complaining, it reeks to high heaven, the wasps and mosquitoes are swarming, and I've officially HAD it. This pond is getting handled, one way or another. I just don't want to contract malaria, spend $5000, or poison any surrounding environments in the process.

The pond is huge. About 20'x20'x12' deep. It has a big waterfall, all kinds of pipes and things connected to it, and I know that the pump burned out years ago. Basically, it has all been sitting untouched for nearly 8 years. (We live in Denver.) I need to do as much as I can by myself, because I want to try to do this as economically as possible.

So, today I'm going to attempt to drain some of the water out (emptying it into the irrigation ditch?) with a sump pump and hose. There is so much CRAP in it, though, I'm anticipating a few problems. Any advice would be very appreciated! ☺️ Stay tuned for photos!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Once this pond has been completely drained and cleaned out, then a reasonable assessment can be made as to what will be needed to return it to a properly functioning water feature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's possible, though, for me to drain it and clean it on my own, right? I'm a little afraid of the bacteria situation. I know nothing about this stuff, but plan to wear long sleeves and muck boots/gloves. That should be sufficient, I'm hoping. ☺️

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
12 feet deep!!!! wow, that's very very deep.

Cant wait to see the pictures.

Good luck!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont think waders would help if it's 12' deep :eek:

What do you plan to have in there?

Is this a natural clay bottom pond or liner or concrete pond?

I'm just thinking that if it's liner, it might be super expensive if you need to replace a liner that's big enough for your pond.

But since youa re from CO.... may be the 12' deep is needed so the pond doesnt freeze solid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
do you want to keep the pond or would you rather not bother? Nothing wrong with either choice, but both will require alot of work and a fair amount of expense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Photos, finally! Sorry it took so long. The official depth estimate is 5 1/2 feet - currently it's not quite full, so a little less than 5' deep right now.

The last two photos show some of the pipes/pump parts involved, the main (only?) pump is housed under a large flagstone platform area, you move one of the stones aside to access it. It's obviously not in working order at the moment. As for a liner, I believe it is concrete, though I'm not sure. The photos of the invoices might have some clues about that, I'll look! Thanks for any and all tips, I'm really out of my area of expertise here!!

PS- this is the first time those large, long-leafy plants have appeared- a Anyone know what they are? Thanks!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
do you want to keep the pond or would you rather not bother? Nothing wrong with either choice, but both will require alot of work and a fair amount of expense.
I don't really have a preference, but we do want to put the house on the market within the next year or two. Whatever is best for resale value is probably what we should do. ? Any thoughts on what potential buyers would prefer? Thanks!!

Side Note: I'd LOVE to convert it into one of those natural swimming pools, does anyone know anything about them? Never seen one in real life (only on Pinterest ☺️) - but they sure seem neat!

Last edited:

Ask a Question