sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
seems like it was more like a formal type pond or fountain .I had something like it in NJ and it had a fountain in the middle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You'd need to take into consideration your winters perhaps go down to 4ft in depth if your planning to put fish in the pond otherwise theyed freeze solid

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Erin, what you have is a reflecting pool and or a simple shallow garden water feature. My grandparents had one just like yours back in the mid 1900's. Such a feature most likely had specific water plants that naturally (hopefully) kept the water clear. Since a pump and filter was not used plus water dehydration these shallow pools were most often dismantled. My grandparents had drain holes put in, filled it with high quality soil and turned it into a lovely flower bed.

I wish you the very best.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Here, cheaper than a liner and just as effective.

67226019.jpg

It'll get rid of that "swimming pool blue" look.

I've used this a couple of times on pre-existing concrete work and was pleased with the ease of application and with the overall result. Round pools are a pain for liners due to the large number of "pleats" needed to achieve a circle. This product is flexible when cured, and also has the added bonus that it permanently seals any cracks that you may have in the concrete. Fish-safe, as well.

The poster Crsublette posted this just the other day, that might solve your "waterfall" question. I think it would be a better idea to use this rather than a waterfall, given the formal look of your "pond" (which to me more resembles a lily pool).

There is an unlimited variety of earthenware pots, urns, jugs, whatever. Reference crsublette's post for filling this structure with filtering material.

mm-32.jpg

Using this idea would also give you the ability to incorporate a semi-permanent (and virtually maintenance-free) filter system.

Something similar to this could sit on top of a series of a series of interconnected milk crates. You could cut out the sides of some of the milk crates in order to house the pump and pre-filter while still achieving your desire to filter, but not to see the mechanical aspect of the design. Put flagstone on top of the milk-carton matrix to hide the tops.

Most of these planters already have a drainage hole in the bottom, so sticking a black PVC pipe up the middle of it, connecting it to hose through the milk-carton matrix, connecting it to the pump/pre-filter and filling it with lava rock shouldn't present any great problems. That's why the milk-carton matrix idea is a good one, You need to support the weight. You can connect 4 milk cartons together using black zip-ties.

I would recommend using flexible sump pump hose for the connection between the black outflow pipe in the decorative container and the pump. Ease of access to the pump is important. You don't want to have to take the whole thing apart just to be able to access the pump. By using sump pump hose (which is cheap and very flexible), you'd be able to wade into the lily pool, reach under the milk carton matrix and pull out the pump/pre-filter combo without needed to disturb the decorative vase/filter.

The sides of the milk crate matrix could be hidden with natural stone. Why go to the expense of a mason, when all you're trying to achieve is to hide the milk-carton matrix? Milk cartons come in black, the epoxy coating is black......

Incorporate at least one underwater light to accentuate the fountain feature.

BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTOR (GCFI).

Given that you live in Vancouver, the depth will probably not be that big of an issue. I'd stick with cheapie goldfish, though.

To keep algae at bay, I would suggest adding a dye to the water, and planting water lilies to decrease the open surface area.

Due to the flat, smooth bottom and near vertical sides of your circular lily pool, you might want to invest in an Oase PondoVac4 system. Cleaning your pond would be an absolute snap with this equipment. Not cheap, but you'd only have to buy it once and there is no better design on the market.

There is a motion-activated sprinkler available. Deer are fairly skittish and this might be a good choice. However, if this pond/pool is in your front courtyard........it might work just as well on in-laws.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Maybe I don't see it, but is there electricity already running out to that pond?
That's important.
I've had concrete fountains before, they always crack and leak. Check out the product that morewater posted.
Looks like a fun project for you, btw.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
It has water and fishies, and a nice yard to sit in the middle of....... I say pond, not swamp :)
P.S. The "stunned look" on my avatar's face is the expression I made when I read "swamp"....lol

Ask a Question