My pond pictures

Reaction score
This is my third season having a pond and my third time re-building and redesigning... Based on the dimensions and depths, it's roughly 1000 gallons and I have 1 koi 14'', 3 commets 6-8", 1 small commet 4", and a little shubumpkin. I added a lot of stone this week and made the mistake of putting pinkish white on the bottom. I thought it would brighten things up but instead, now my crytal clear water looks pink and my fish blend in with the stone...Tell me what ya think..

Attachments

• pondpic4.jpg
    pondpic4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 483
  • pondpic1.jpg
    pondpic1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 418
  • pondpic2.jpg
    pondpic2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 403
  • pondpic3.jpg
    pondpic3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 442
Reaction score
Thank you. I couldn't tell ya yet. The stone hasn't been in a week yet, but it sure does make anything floating around in the water stand out. if i did again, i would've just used the 3-5 inch river jack that spills out by the waterfall.

The pictures are actually kind of dark once i posted them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i can only advise you to keep your fish numbers low if you want to keep the rock... fish poop and fallen vegetation will combine to create a bad situation in the bottom rocks. bad bacteria and parasites love that enviroment. pond builders say that its just more surface area to colonize bacteria, but it turns anaroebic, and breeds disease if not kept "in check". and they would be more than happy to get paid to do so. you'll find 90% of the forum will agree. good luck and happy ponding

Reaction score
are you referring to the smaller white rocks or the large ones. i think i'll wind up removing the small ones but i would like to keep the big ones if i can..

what do you think?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The bottom will still look nat with out all of the small rocks . You can use them around the pond. The pond looks good...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you are going to give advice here, then I suggest you have your facts straight. People come here for good, proven advice from veteran pool owners. It is not an opinion, it is a fact that rocks and good water quality have nothing in common.

If this is the kind of advice that is in the books you are peddling, then I hope no-one here is foolish enough to buy them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fish tanks usually use undergravel filtration that pulls the poop and organic matter thru the stone and into the filtration. in ponds fish poop,dead vegetation and other organic matter settles there, becomes toxic and promotes growth of anaroebic(BAD) bacteria, gives a place for parasites to hide and flourish while waiting for a host fish to latch onto. disease festers in that enviorment. a couple of fish o.k.... but if you want any number of fish forget the rocky bottom. even with just a few fish you better do at least yearly total pond cleanups with rocks removed.

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other folks in this post. Rocks should not be on the bottom of the pond. The only time I have seen someone promoting rocks on the bottom is an aquascape installer. You want to eliminate as many dead spots in the pond as possible.

Reaction score
easy fellas. i took the advice and removed all of the stones on the bottom. but now ive noticed that my water level has dropped a bit and at first i figured it was simple water displacement from the rocks i removed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

my liner is a EPDM 45 mil and the stones were round goose egg type. i don't think i punctured the liner and it's possible that im losing water through splashing out of my waterfall.. but just in case, is there a way to dectect a leak? i have no bubbles coming up and there's no evidence on the bottom of water escaping....any advice?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The wind will have an effect on water loss,, top it off and see how much it goes down..if it still falls turn off the water fall , top it off and see what happens..

Ask a Question