My pond plans

Reaction score
Attached is where I will put the pond. OK, do NOT make fun of the pink flamingos. I like em and they're mine.
My kids laugh at em and shot bottle rockets at em on July 4th, and they survived. My wife tolerates em because she loves me. nuff said. :)
Showing ignorance up front these are my thoughts.
On the left side of the bridge, I want to make the first small pond this fall. There is electric there I have ran under the patio and to that lil fountain. Next year, or whenever, i want to make stage II of the pond which will be on the right side of the walk.
I DO NOT want to make the pond underneath the bridge as we have snakes in the area and I don't want them having a nice cool, wet, cozy hiding place. So, it will be two separate ponds that should appear as one. Don't laugh until you saw the size of the copperhead in my hard last summer. And a small one beside that bridge last week. I know they can still get there, but they won't be hiding underneat that bridge. Rocks will be there around the edge, but not big ones for that reason. I would like to get by with NO rocks on the edge if anyone has a suggestion there.
It is full sun and red clay dirt. Hard dig, but I can make it happen.
I'm a beach bum. So I lean towards a beach scene in my back yard. This is right off the patio. The pond just lends water to the scene and some fun. And, I dig fish a lot. (I like the goldfish suggestion I got earlier)
The hot tub is invaluable. This area is MY area, my sanctuary sorta. Me and Jimmy Buffet XM spend a lot of time there. I mean the family loves it, but not as much as myself. I piddle there, work with the plants .(refurbbing our greenhouse too and getting it back going again).

SO, this is where it all will be. Now..I gotta get back to my planning..Ebay I think for pumps/filters. Hit me with a link to some good deals if you guys know of any for this job.

Thanks!
Mark

Attachments

• walkway.jpg
    walkway.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 333

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like your bridge it looks like you will be going with a shore or boat type theme .LOLWhen you said you piddled there I had to laugh as that word I use when the dogs have to go out to pee LMAO A filter you can build on your own and will probably be better since you like to do it your self .I made my own and it was so simple .I used the dreaded lava rock from my garden center and it works great for me .Some don't like lava rock because it is heavy .but have to say with the winds I get up on this hill I know my filter is not going any where .To clean the gunk from the bottom of the filter instead of a drain I use a dirty water pump and just plug it in when I need to clean the filter and add my hose (since I have well water it is safe ,city water needs treated first ) to the pond and do a 10% water change at the same time .My pumps are submersible cheapy harbor freight pumps and I know pond depot is cheap and so is northern tool company.Pick up some seashells then for your beach scene dollar stores or go to a beach like I do to get some .Winters the best for shell hunting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like a good plan Mark. I've heard of a way that some people have used grass right up to the edge of the pond but can't member how they did it w/o allowing dirt runoff into the pond. It was a post somebody put on here awhile back. Maybe somebody can find it and post it up for ya. Wonder if you could just use gravel? But what is the reason for no rocks? Is it cuz it attracts the snakes to lay on and hide in in the sun? Seems like they would lay on anything out there that was flat in the sun like wood or slate etc. Don't see your state or location up in your stats. You must be in hot, snake country tho,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he could grow moss close to the edge that gets thick as long as he buys the right moss and doesn't get a lot of sun or he could put seashells all the way up to the edge ,snake don't like going on a rough surface like that .Clam shells would be good.Crushed oyster shells like they use on driveways as that will just add to the pond anyways

Reaction score
I stood and PONDered, :) at the proposed site today..I don't think a premade liner will suffice, as I want it to come up to the edge of the patio on one side. So, I guess I'll be going with one of those black plastic liners.
Thoughts?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! OK, for liner, 45 mil or better liner is far more bang for the buck, preformed ponds aren't durable, very seldom last more than a few years, and really are hard to adapt to in multiple stage projects, As for the bridge and snakes, water attracts the snakes, not the bridge, bridge provides a spot to hide and bath, making removing it easier as you'll actually be able to find it. If you have a pond in the yard, chances are you'll attract any snake in the area. good news is, 99% of the time, it will not be poisinous. The really only venemous snake you have to deal with is the cotton mouth, Coral snakes, rattlesnakes, and copperheads are not usually attracted to water. Your yard and garden may attract others but not usually the pond. Bridges do provide cover for cool spots for the fish, provide a hiding spot from flying predators and can also provide a great place to hide pumps and fliters out of site. just something to think about.
Thngs not to cut cost corners on, Pump, skimmer, liner. Get good quality products, they pay for there selves in the long run, Places you can cut costs that you can benefit from, Filters, landscaping, plants, and fish. Filters, you can build a great filter from the DYI section here on the site that can give you far more filtering for a lot less money, landscaping, Use what is available to you, If your in a area that has a lot of rocks check out farms or construction sites, you can sometimes get them for freee, if not there are ways to deck and cover edges, build flower beds or bog gardens to the edge, or even maybe use natural logs or other available resources, plants, Your on a forum, plants can be shipped, get with another ponder and work out a deal, you can usually get plants cheap from others that need to thin out after a few years, fish, check craiglist, other local pond keepers. goldfish multiply, you can pick up nice fish cheap if you really watch other places to get them other than petstores and walmart.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took a pic of where I wanted my pond and put it on my puter and drew the pond in and that helped me plan where I wanted everything to sit and how the shape would be and how big I wanted it and which way I wanted to face it .

Reaction score
For an alternative to the rock necklace I use a bond beam block. The liner tucks inside, then filled with dirt to hold liner in place. You can knock off or cut off the back lip if you like to give plants more soil and lessen the chance of it becoming exposed. I use this for all in ground ponds, even if it's getting a rock necklace because it's easier and so stable.

The block being hollow allows for plants to grow right through. The result is about 2-3" of exposed liner which plants, even grass, can cover. For grass I make sure there's a skimmer because it's impossible to keep the grass clippings out of the pond.

collar_bond_beam.jpg

You can use bender board to get the same basic effect but I find it more expensive, much harder to work with, and not nearly as stable. With the block you can walk on it and it stays solid.

Another choice I like is to move the bond beam block back a bit to create a plant shelf. A good way to keep the plants and pond separate giving you more control and choices. No knocked over pots, less raccoon attacks looking for food under pots. The plant shelf can be deep and filled with pea gravel to create a very nice bog type filter. I show pressure treated wood for the front lip but it could be lots of things including bender board, corrugated plastic (free political signs) or more bond beam block.
WidePlantShelf2.jpg

I think the best look generally is to vary the edge. Some rock, some plants (tall and short), some grass to the edge. Vary the width of the plant shelf too.

I like EPDM but have heard good things about polyethylene.

I would connect the two ponds via underground pipe or stream. One pond is easier to maintain than two for lots of reasons.

IMO if the bridge were attractive to snakes it wouldn't be any more or less attractive because of water being under the bridge. While copperheads may like to be near water, they don't have to be that near when looking for a cool place. And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather a moccasin have an escape route, plus I find them easier to deal with when they're in water (as long as I'm not in the water too).

If you were really concerned about snakes you could think about using the wooden bridge elsewhere in the yard and building a stepping stone bridge. It's a more modern look and no place for snakes to hang out.

Flamingos are still a hot design element when part of an overall design. I like yours. Never feel bad if Philistines don't share your sophisticated palate. The flamingos would go well with the stepping stone bridge too. Together they say "modern" and that you had a design. Don't get me wrong, I like eclectic and what you have done already. Just offering options.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Waterbug thats similar to the way I built mine only because I wanted a bridge across the middle for shade and I new I wanted it to be a rectangle .I wanted it to be close to my front covered porch so I could view it from above and hear it when I'm sitting out there and still be able to enjoy it from the yard and down below .Also gave me easy access to electric and places to hide aerator and anything else I wanted to hide under the covered front porch

Reaction score
Ok...pondpeoples.
I went to a local nursery today that specialized in ponds and installs. I was encouraged to see them. However, I quickly saw I want something I haven't seen before. Atypical. I want more of a beach pond.
So..I'm thinking, looking at that pic, something 10 or so feet long, 3 feet deep and 4 or 5 wide. Rectangular more or less. Not a natural looking thing really. I want a huge pot overturned on one end, with the water pouring into the pond. I think I want koi in the pond. some plants. Around the side, it'll not look natural, but I want sand up to the edge of the pond. And some rocks. But mostly sand. Haven't gotten the logistics of the sand thing yet. But..that's what I want. No pea gravel really. The sand would be on a ground cover of course to prevent grass from growing up. Not sure of how that sand would then meld into the rest of the yard, gotta ponder this.
But, hey...that's my thoughts.
Whats yours on it?
I'm gonna draw this out PS, or try...and get some ideas. I like that idea sissy.
Thansk!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go to the beach or even a dollar store or craft store and pick up seashells like I did and get yourself a cold hardy palm or cold hardy banana for that beachy look .I just picked up a lot more when I was in Atlantic City .And a friend sent me some from Hawaii and Puerto Rico and thats how you get the nicer color shells and you can also google shells and there are online places to buy them .

Reaction score
I always like different and a beach pond is different so I like it. Logistics would be a challenge, but that's another plus in my book. I look forward to reading how this goes as you will be cutting new ground.

Ask a Question