My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
somebody shared that video on U tube but called me a weirdo? :alien: But it must have been interesting enough that he shared it on u tube. I seen his comments on other koi videos he shared and his comments on some are much worse. Oh well cannot please everyone and ok, so I am weird but at least interesting enough to share :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't worry about what others think, enjoy life do what makes you happy, what works for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh for heavens sake...just ignore him, we love you :) Collen, I'd love some yellow flag, but am perplexed how I could grow it. My pond has a straight drop on the sides. I have some things growing in crevices, but would love a stand of yellow flag. My "pretend" bog ( in a container ) is nice, but everything died over the winter....I'm think as it sits on the ground. Do you have any suggestions for how I could grow yellow flag with my set up?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
bonkers.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh for heavens sake...just ignore him, we love you :) Collen, I'd love some yellow flag, but am perplexed how I could grow it. My pond has a straight drop on the sides. I have some things growing in crevices, but would love a stand of yellow flag. My "pretend" bog ( in a container ) is nice, but everything died over the winter....I'm think as it sits on the ground. Do you have any suggestions for how I could grow yellow flag with my set up?
Tula, I used those oil change containers and planted some sweet flag in pea gravel in my pond. I used mini milk crates I got from Walmart as a ledge for them. Hope that helps.
pond 42315.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula, I used those oil change containers and planted some sweet flag in pea gravel in my pond. I used mini milk crates I got from Walmart as a ledge for them. Hope that helps.
View attachment 80559
Thank you! Are they the two pots featured in your picture? Do you have some water covering the top of the pots? Also, how deep is your pond and what do you do with them in the winter?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

Yellow Flag water Iris is naturally a true water plant, unlike many other types of irises that can be grown in water. The yellow flag can grow very well in deeper water as well. My yellow flag is not potted in any soil or pot. it natually floats in water that is close to three feet deep. The yellow flag water Iris does best when not strangled in a container, but allowed to float natually. Once you have a large floating root ball, it will be more stable. Just find a shoot of yellow flag and tie it to the side of pond, so that the roots can dangle on water. I did that for other people and they grew great. When I make starter yellow flag plants I just wedge piece in rocks or tie to side of pond till it gets a good base. Yellow flags natually float and in the wild during g big storms I read that pieces will break away and float to other ends of Lake and that is how they spread.

The yellow flag also provides a natual winter home for fish as they all love to hide under the large floating yellow flag. If you look back at the older winter videos you hardly see the fish in that pond cause they all winter under that plant..

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you! Are they the two pots featured in your picture? Do you have some water covering the top of the pots? Also, how deep is your pond and what do you do with them in the winter?
Those are the 2 in the right side of the picture. I have a little water going over both of them. That part of the pond is about 2' deep. I took 2 mini plastic milk crates, zip tied them together and use them as a shelf for those plants to sit on. I don't freeze so I just leave everything during the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Very nice, Colleen.
How many pumps do you have running, total?

Edit-forget that, I saw the answer in your other thread.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have lots of pumps, 4 main pumps, one old skimmer pump sucking stuff off bottom pond, then another old pump in top pond connected to Laguna Box filter that never cleaned in over a year, forgot to clean it last fall and when I looked inside there was nothing practically to clean, runs fabulous and it just pushes water around top pond, used to be in old top pond, but moved it to new top pond.

Ask a Question