My pond this morning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This Giant Egret has been a fixture here for weeks. She has not been able to catch any fish though since I don’t have a shallow area for her to wade in…

Attachments

• 52DDE0DD-11D1-4F9F-8B83-67FA3327B6FF.jpeg
    52DDE0DD-11D1-4F9F-8B83-67FA3327B6FF.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 66

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! Glad she's not getting in there and eating your fish. Pretty anyway. And the pond is beautiful!

So now you can officially sing "Egrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention..."

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don’t have a shallow area for her to wade in…

Our heron could less about having shallow water to wade in. It fished from the steep sided deep water banks. It would just walk the edge until it saw a fish and snatch it. Therefore the net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Our heron could less about having shallow water to wade in. It fished from the steep sided deep water banks. It would just walk the edge until it saw a fish and snatch it. Therefore the net
Yes, the herons would probably be able to get a fish (they haven't discovered my pond yet) I think the HUGE live oak over the top of my pond obscures it's view which helps...I also think a lot has to do with the fact that I feed sinking pellets so my fish very seldom come to the top of the water...My Shubies are fast too so they aren't an easy to get meal and they go right into their fish cave when a predator lurks...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
She has not been able to catch any fish
Thank goodness. Your pond is looking really pretty. And as long as the egret isn't getting any fish, she makes a real pretty addition to the landscape. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank goodness. Your pond is looking really pretty. And as long as the egret isn't getting any fish, she makes a real pretty addition to the landscape. ;)
Thank you cas...she even sleeps here...I think someone must have fed her and then stopped because she seems clueless when it comes to hunting for food...If I don't go out to the pond first thing in the morning she looks in all of my windows for me...She loves to watch my fish and I have more than enough but she has never even tried to catch one...

Ask a Question