GH 180
KH 180
PH 7.5
No2 0
No3 0
Ammonia somewhere between 0 and.25 ppm?
See pics

Other useful information:
* Pond size approx 15,000 gal. running since 0610/2018 (2.5 weeks)

* 55gal drum DIY skimmer with 2.5k gph flowing about 1/2 that currently

*bog filter approx 1/5 the surface area of the pond and approx 18 to 24" deep

* Newly established no water changes but sprinkler does compensate for evaporation.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* No fish yet

20180628_194545.jpg
20180628_200633.jpg
20180628_202112.jpg
20180626_193230.jpg
20180621_060924.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Telion, (Man ya gotta love that mountain view!)

Did you use anything to start off the nitrogen cycle in your pond? Like straight ammonia, live rock, etc.? It looks pretty clean in there, so I was wondering if there was anything you added to actually get the cycle started. It could take around 3-4 weeks for ammonia to even start showing up on the test kits, then from there it spikes, changes to nitrites, spikes, and then on to nitrates.... So if you're starting with clean (dechlorinated) water, ya might want to dirty it up and wait a bit (anywhere from 6-8 weeks, depending) before adding expensive fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good point. I didn't add any ammonia to initiate the process I though time and the bugs and yucky water that was in it while it sat would be enough. But it may not have begun to cycle. Would testing it a week out tell me? If the cycle hasn't started the ammonia should rise right?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Without fish waste your ammonia will not rise unless you add ammonia. Some people start out with a couple of inexpensive fish to start the cycle. You can also add ammonia directly. I'm not sure on the exact procedure for that so maybe someone who has done it can post.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good point. I didn't add any ammonia to initiate the process I though time and the bugs and yucky water that was in it while it sat would be enough. But it may not have begun to cycle. Would testing it a week out tell me? If the cycle hasn't started the ammonia should rise right?

Just as mrsclem mentioned, the cycle doesn't really get a good start unless there's something breaking down to release ammonia. (Rotting plant matter, fish waste, decaying fish food, etc.) The dirt that accumulated during the build is at least a good foundation for, (and may even contain some), good bacteria to help the process. I personally have never used the straight ammonia method, but it may be a good option if you don't have the time to monitor starter fish.

I go the route of letting some plant matter fall into the pond to decay, start running the filters, get the water moving, add some beneficial bacteria (store bought), add some plants....then I add a couple small, inexpensive, BUT PRETTY fish. I make sure they're pretty, because I'm gonna keep 'em! That's usually enough to get things rolling without an overload of dangerous ammonia and nitrites, and then the plants eat up the nitrates so that there is a safer level for the fish. With my current pond expansion, I also took bio media from the filter in my established pond, along with some rocks, and added them to the new pond.

But once you've seeded the pond, keep an eye on it, test the water, don't overfeed, check the fish daily for any signs of stress, and let the cycle complete before adding more fish. Even then, introduce a couple at a time, and don't overstock. It can take around 6-8 weeks, or maybe even longer, depending on a number of factors, for the nitrogen cycle to complete.

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your bog is running correct, and planted. You may not see much of a cycle with a running bog and plants in the pond. Especially if you go slowly adding fish.

Never really cycled my pond per se. What I did after it was built, was added a bunch of plants in the bog, planting beds, pretty much everywhere I wanted plants to grow.

Never really bothered to check it, but then again I’ve been in fishkeeping in aquariums and ponds for a long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just as mrsclem mentioned, the cycle doesn't really get a good start unless there's something breaking down to release ammonia. (Rotting plant matter, fish waste, decaying fish food, etc.) The dirt that accumulated during the build is at least a good foundation for, (and may even contain some), good bacteria to help the process. I personally have never used the straight ammonia method, but it may be a good option if you don't have the time to monitor starter fish.

I go the route of letting some plant matter fall into the pond to decay, start running the filters, get the water moving, add some beneficial bacteria (store bought), add some plants....then I add a couple small, inexpensive, BUT PRETTY fish. I make sure they're pretty, because I'm gonna keep 'em! That's usually enough to get things rolling without an overload of dangerous ammonia and nitrites, and then the plants eat up the nitrates so that there is a safer level for the fish. With my current pond expansion, I also took bio media from the filter in my established pond, along with some rocks, and added them to the new pond.

But once you've seeded the pond, keep an eye on it, test the water, don't overfeed, check the fish daily for any signs of stress, and let the cycle complete before adding more fish. Even then, introduce a couple at a time, and don't overstock. It can take around 6-8 weeks, or maybe even longer, depending on a number of factors, for the nitrogen cycle to complete.

Very good point when we initially filled it it did have standing water that had bird poop and decaying leaves in it so it is possible that this did start the cycle.

Your bog is running correct, and planted. You may not see much of a cycle with a running bog and plants in the pond. Especially if you go slowly adding fish.

Never really cycled my pond per se. What I did after it was built, was added a bunch of plants in the bog, planting beds, pretty much everywhere I wanted plants to grow.

Never really bothered to check it, but then again I’ve been in fishkeeping in aquariums and ponds for a long time.

True the bog is running and planted it was actually partially stocked prior to the completion of the pond so the pond has been running through the bog for the whole time. I don't want to add ammonia if it already has so is it safe to assume that if the ammonia does go up in a week that it is beginning the cycle.

It say like this for a while and we did get it fully drained before filling it.
20180603_131432.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep, keeping tabs on it sounds like a good move. I think you filled up your pond at about the same time we did ours...at the 2 1/2 week mark I'm testing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and a pH of 7.4 (tap water is 6.8, rain water ?) So it would seem like everything's awesome and ready to go...but I know better. :cautious:

So are you going to have Koi, goldfish, or both in your pond? Did you install a bottom drain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, keeping tabs on it sounds like a good move. I think you filled up your pond at about the same time we did ours...at the 2 1/2 week mark I'm testing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and a pH of 7.4 (tap water is 6.8, rain water ?) So it would seem like everything's awesome and ready to go...but I know better. :cautious:

So are you going to have Koi, goldfish, or both in your pond? Did you install a bottom drain?

Yes I plan to test weekly for the next month or so then go to bi-weekly for a month and see how it is doing. I do have a bottom drain but its tied to the waterfall which is not built yet.i could tie it to the bog till then

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think you filled up your pond at about the same time we did ours...at the 2 1/2 week mark I'm testing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and a pH of 7.4 (tap water is 6.8, rain water ?) So it would seem like everything's awesome and ready to go...but I know better. :cautious:

And whoop there it is! At the 3 week mark I'm getting ammonia at .25 . Cycle on :poop:….

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is not what I wanted to here. My wife got anxious so we bought some tiny koi. I might by a quarinite thank to have on standby which I will need down the road potentially anyway. Just don't have an area cleaned out to house it.

Ask a Question