my ponds first season

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
AVANCE
I just looked at your photo album. I suspect that is you with your daughter in one of the photos. It is always nice to know what folks look like.

Your pond is enormous! I am jealous... How do you manage to catch them for the winter over in your basement pond? That must be quite a job.

How did you construct the corners of your basement pond? It looks like a very clean build, with tapered sides. I want to build a spawning pond out of the scrap EPDM I have from my 2 in ground ponds. I figured on either using morterless block or wood as you have done. I just need to bond the scrap EPDM pieces I have, so I can figure out how big it can be.

Nice yard! The snow reminds me of my days in North Dakota.

Reaction score
Thank you DrDave!..Sorry Koiguy for taking your side for a moment..
Well Doc..to take them inside for the winter that´s not to much work...I just pump the water out..and when there is so little water left so they cant escape..then I pick them up:profile:
About the basement pound..I´m not so good in english so that I can explain how iI built it but ...I just put some wood together and put some liner in it..but it must be thick wood because it´s a lot of pressure on it when it´s filled whith water..I´m glad that you like our pond..I think that everybody needs a pond...when you had a stressfull day at work there´s nothing like sitting beside the pond and listening to the water pouring,se the koi´s swimming by...fantastic!!!MVH/Björn

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not your fault, Bjorn, what are the demensions on your basement pond? mine is 6'x6'x2', or 540 u.s gallons full but i keep it at 450 or so. i am going to make it a foot deeper, when the guys go back outside for the summer, this will take it up to well over 700 gallons but i'll keep it at 675. do you pump water from one pond to the other as you transfer your fish like i do? i also transfer filter media between the two filter systems.

Reaction score
Hi Koiguy!
My inside pond is 120 cm x 160 cm and 60 cm high...I does the same as you and pump some water from summerpond to basementpond when it´s time to take the friends inside for winter. I have the same pump and filter to both off the ponds...I have to look this "gallon" and "6`" up to see what that will be in "Liters" and "centimeter"...this is good for my englishtraining..haha:icon_smile:
Where do you live? Our place is in Gustafs/ Säter..a place 200 kilometers north of Stockholm. Mvh/Björn

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I am in the northeast U.S, state of Michigan. thats a stones throw away from Canada. the great lakes and detroit river are the only thing seperating us. we have bitter cold winters and heat stroke summers. we do see 100+ in summer and 30* below in winter. i think there is just about 4 litres in a us gallon. a meter is like 39 inches and 36 inches is 3 feet. im 6 feet x 6feet. if my memory serves me correct.

Reaction score
Looks that we have the same climat...warm summers and cold winters...but the summers could be a little bit longer i think.../Björn

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would love to see longer milder summers. more outdoors enjoyment, but not running the airconditioning, would afford more water features.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i would love to see longer milder summers. more outdoors enjoyment, but not running the airconditioning, would afford more water features.

i agree good weather without running the airconditioning

Reaction score
Nice looking fish as well as your redo. Is the area cover by liner a waterfall in the making??? Just curious, being originally from that area, where did you get all your plants???

Reaction score
is that the shop on gratiot near the police station ?? I go home once a month and the pond suppliers for plants here in Indiana are just not good at all.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep, thats the place; mature lillies 2 for $50.00 best price ive found for sure. check out their pond too. and their koi are reasonable too! and they carry a huge selection of both.

Reaction score
If you use the Google tool bar there is a built in calculator and units conversion tool. For instance if you put "120 cm x 160 cm x 60 cm in gallons" in the toolbar it will return "(120 cm) x (160 cm) x (60 cm) = 304.326204 US gallons". Very nice for on the fly conversions.

Reaction score
I am fascinated with the concept of an indoor pond after looking at your videos on YouTube! What kind of light do you have over it for the plants to grow and what size dehumidifier do you use to keep the humidity down (if you use one at all?). My basement just by itself needs a dehumidifier, I can't imagine what you would need once you add all that water!

Great videos.

Ask a Question