My poor fish, will they survive all my mistakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
After having the NO3 spike for some unknown reason we added Prime to reduce them and it did. We thought we were out of the woods.
We thought we turned the sprinkler system off last night and this morning I found the pond water brown and the algae dead. Sprinkler system ran twice and added an inch of chlorinated water to the pond. Added chloramin right away but the pond cycle is now all whacked up. Not sure how things will progress. Today, i will be moving the sprinkler heads that hit the pond and replacing one with a soaker hose for plants around pond.
If the fish survive all my mistakes they are from some hardy stock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Finger crossed that all turns out alright!
smfingerscrossed.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@MajorDan We all learn from our mistakes and sure hope the fish will be ok. You also want to be careful no fertilizer from grass or garden areas can run into ponds when it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks all. Will be reporting as things develop. Algae is coming back. Fish are active though it is hard to see them now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad you caught the problem quickly and can rework your sprinklers. Your fish will probably be just fine; since they're currently active.

I know murk can be annoying... Right now my water is dark from pollen and Spring algae, but I know that it will clear up. I just add an extra couple layers of fine filter material in my filter falls during times like this, and it will help until the plants are back in full gear.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I killed a bunch when I first built my pond, had no clue our well water had a ph of 5.3, poor fish were put into a acid bath. I learned fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh dear. :( I hate waking up, looking at the pond & having an "Oh crap!" moment first thing in the morning. I hope your fishies continue to do well & things settle down soon for you.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh dear. :( I hate waking up, looking at the pond & having an "Oh crap!" moment first thing in the morning. I hope your fishies continue to do well & things settle down soon for you.
Totally, nothing ruins a morning faster than seeing power loss, low water or floating fish. Thats the 1st thing I do every morning, check the ponds. Then hopefully, get that coffee, sit back and enjoy all the hard work. Make being a pond owner so worth it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Today’s test were all normal except NO3, it was .5 ppm so I dosed the pond with Prime for the second time. Hoping for some improvement someday. Pond is green with algae... I believe the fish are still in there, you just can not see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Nice looking five!
I picked out two and my wife picked the other three. The two I picked were about a 1/2” bigger. We are already very attached to them so this week was a bit stressful. Dreading telling kids if anything happens to them.

Ask a Question