My poor koi fish is turning White

Reaction score
Country
United States
So here's the thing... I'm new to owning koi fish, and for my first couple fish that I have ever bought I chose koi. My husband and I had bought them from a breeder/dealer off of eBay and bought 6 babies no bigger then an inch and a half each when we got them. We are putting our pond in this spring(it's already been started) but because they were so little the person we bought them from said they would be just fine in a tank over the winter until our pond was finished... Now we have done everything exactly how we read it needed to be done for them while they would be in an indoor tank but in the past week we have noticed that one of our black koi fish is turning White.( We bought 2 all white, 2 all black, and 2 all yellow) he is also the smallest one out of all six of them. He doesn't appear to be sick and the levels of everything in our tank are perfect. He's swimming fine and eating fine but he looks like there is something very wrong with him. All the other fish are fine but I did notice that they have been trying to mate also witch I read that a male can seriously hurt a female during the mating season.. I'm just really concerned about the little guy because all the rest of them look just fine. Please if anyone can help us to figure out what might be wrong with my poor fishy we would greatly appreciate it. We don't want him to die but we also don't want him to actually be sick and possibly give the other fish any type of illness if that is the case. Please if anyone can help us with this we will be so grateful to every answer we can get. Thank you to everyone in advance for your time and consideration on our little dilemma we are having.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish change colors. End of story.

Haha! No really, they do and it's generally not a sign that something is wrong. And changing from black to another color is very common - my pond born fish all start out black before they turn orange or gold or spotted. And one of mine goes from white to orange and back again every year.

I think your fish is probably fine. Can you post a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Two of my goldfish were black and orange when I bought them... now 3 years later...both are solid off white. So like lisak stated I guessing it's just natural. I believe when they are young they are darker for protection.

Here is the color of mine now... the orange one was orange when I got him ..the off white was a light black.

Attachments

• 20170410_184158.jpg
    20170410_184158.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 565

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15e3a85db23c7072eaaba533acb.gif

I bought some sarassa comets over the winter that will go into my pond soon. One was a beautiful dark orange and white with black markings. I had the fish just a bit over 2 weeks when, within a few days, it lost all of it's black markings. The fish is healthy and happy as ever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Have u asked which type of koi were they , the black one? if ur thinking they will remain black then the chances are less then 1% . most probably they are sanke , showa which are red white black mix koi , they are all black as fry , if ur lucky then it can be shiro utseri ie black marking on white but u will see some signs of it as markings will b leopard type ... chances are very low its fairly rare variety , there is all black variety too but its not that famous as it cant b seen in a pond .
some times it looses its black colour bz of environment and light background , then when u place it in pond it reappear , i asked pic if its some type of disease or fungus thats making it pale but it wud behave strange inactive or lazy .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your koi are not trying to mate at that size. On average, koi need to be at least 10" before they are mature enough. Probably just playing tag like normal kids.
I have several koi that are 5 years old that are still changing colors. Its fun to see what they will end up looking like!

Ask a Question