My poor pond!

Reaction score
Hi....I love working in my garden and sitting by our pond watching our fish and listening to the water! I am happy to have found this forum as I really need some advice. My husband built this pond a number of years ago and just this year we are experiencing a problem we have never had before. The pond actually looked like we had taken a bucket of mud and thrown it into the pond. I've uploaded photos of what it looks like now and will now describe the advice we received from the pond place that we frequent. Before seeking advice, we went ahead and emptied the pond and refilled it with fresh water and that worked short term, but we could see each day it was getting muckier and muckier. We actually emptied the darn thing again and the same thing happened, although it's not near as bad as the worst photo here where you can see we were in the process of draining it. Nothing has changed in our landscape since we built this pond. We actually have no grass, as our backyard is a rock garden with succulents. This side of the backyard has flagstone laid down where the grass used to be and which has been there for several years now. We do have a bog, but when this happened we decided to pull out all of the plants that were there and fill it with new plants. Our pond is fairly small..approximately 700 gallons. We have 6 fish..'no koi' and one shark and two lillies (all of which are doing well) and then of course the new plants in the bog. So..we go by the pond place with photos of the pond and the woman there tells us that we didn't need to empty the water out, that this is a natural process having come out of the winter season *never happened before?* and hands us a bottle of Water Garden Starter and says that will do the trick. Nope! Call them back up and they tell me to purchase Water Clarifer and THAT will do the trick. Since they are a distance away I headed to Petsmart and picked that up. That did not work either. I took a water sample to them and it was perfect btw. We go back again and talk to someone else who tells us that water clarifier would not have done the trick..but handed us a bottle of Water Garden Cleaner (boy but that stinks!!) and said to use the appropriate amount (one ounce for our size pond) every three days and to give it a couple of weeks and that should do the trick. He did say that having replaced the bog plants would hinder the process alittle since they needed to take root. At any rate..This is where we are at and I'm hoping someone here can suggest what actually might resolve this issue. The last picture shows the pond looking its best at the moment but that was helped b/c we had an extreme amount of rain in our area and it helped to flush out the pond some. Thanks in advance and H E L P!!

Attachments

• pond at worst.JPG
    pond at worst.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 335
  • yuck pond 2.JPG
    yuck pond 2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 317
  • yuck pond 1.JPG
    yuck pond 1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 300

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
to our group!

Emptying the pond and refilling is not the best thing to do, you start over with new water syndrome every time.
The bog plants would not have caused the water color. Is your bog your filter? Pulling the old plants and starting with new sets their filter ability back a little too.
This is my third summer with the bog, the plants keep the pond algae free and clear water.

That looks the green single cell algae everybody complains about. I don't have the issue, but some cure it with a uv light

Reaction score
That's exactly why we built the bog to keep it clean, which was working until now. We really didn't feel we had any choice but to empty the pond in order to get rid of how awful it looked and we were afraid the fish (which we could no longer see) would die in that mess. Now I need to try to find out what to do to get it back to normal and keep it there. Very confusiing!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and you can use quilt batting to pick up all the fine stuff just put quilt batting in a basket in the flow of water or get another pump and put the basket on something and pump water straight into the basket full of quilt batting .You may have to clean it often but after awhile you will see your pond clear up and you will need to clean it less and less

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am redoing it so not the best pics ,I had no choice as i had a couple of leaks but slowly but surely getting there .Everything is under cover to try to protect the fish from anything falling in the pond from under or on top

Attachments

• waterfall 008.JPG
    waterfall 008.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 317
  • waterfall 008.JPG
    waterfall 008.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 310
  • waterfall 015.JPG
    waterfall 015.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 298
  • ponding bench 2012 028.JPG
    ponding bench 2012 028.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm going out tomorrow to pick up the quilt batting and give that a shot. My poor pond gets the full sun all day and i don't have any full grown trees to give it any shade, although I planted a fast grower year before last for that specific reason. I might have to try the idea in sissy's last photo to give them some shade since we've been in the 100's here lately. Course the pond is so green I guess that's a filter of some sort! You are all so nice and I appreciate the information.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pond is in full sun also and it has been extremely hot here and that helps cool it off also .I have one that goes over the whole pond but since i am redoing it the thing gets in the way

I made it my self .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sissy is very creative, a lot of us have gotten good ideas from her.

You need more plants in your bog and in your pond. I have lilies in the pond, floaters and can not even see the pea gravel in the bog coverage of plants. Both keep the water clear, also cooler.

A shade sail will help.

Ask a Question