My poor pond!

Reaction score
Yes...we sure do! The bog was completely full before we took everything out of it, but I really didn't like what was in there anymore. As soon as I get this pond back to where it should be I'm going to add more plants in the pond itself. There are quite a few in the bog but they need to grow. I'm off to by quilt batting this morning and give that idea a try. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love colleens idea of adding more grasses after i added them my pond really cleared up a lot .I did get some purple fountain grass but I have really been looking for lemon grass for my pond .That would also be great for your bog addy and gosh does it have a great lemon smell .I found 1 nursery in NC that had it and called and called them and no answer .They had there ad on craigs list .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love colleens idea of adding more grasses after i added them my pond really cleared up a lot .I did get some purple fountain grass but I have really been looking for lemon grass for my pond .That would also be great for your bog addy and gosh does it have a great lemon smell .I found 1 nursery in NC that had it and called and called them and no answer .They had there ad on craigs list .

Thanks sissy I will take a look for it. I have a bunch of rush in the bog, that stuff has massive roots. The day lilies, and rush have the most massive root system. The other stuff is shallower and easy to remove.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great thing is it is a natural bug repellent also ,I had 3 of them back in NJ and should have dug one up but stupid me didn't .They seem to not care where you plant them and if you cut some and bring them in your house it will be lemony fresh for hours .I put some in my house back there when i was selling it and peoples number 1 comment was the nice fresh smell .I used to crush the leaves up and put them in flower vases in the house .Hard to find though it seems .

Reaction score
Sissy, Looking at the quilt batting photos I can see several hoses in the water are you using them to recycle water into main pond or was the cleaning done just in the stock basin?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No I had just put the hoses in there so I could find them for the main pond .I was adding a ball valve to the main pond and was going to divert water to the second filter and that was hoses I was going to use .So decided to just put them in the stock tank so i knew where the where when I was ready to use them .The cleaning was just done in the stock tank so I could put plants in it .I had lotus i was starting in the house .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 stock tanks 1 is 150 gallons and the other one is 300 gallons .

Reaction score
Okay Sissy...bought the batting and put it in a basket in the pond. My thoughts to my husband was to have the water from the fish spitter flow into the basket but he ended up taking the hose off of the spitter and stuck it in the basket. This look okay? Already getting dirty so keeping my fingers crossed for sparkling water again soon!

Attachments

• pond with batting.JPG
    pond with batting.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 163

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember to rinse it out often so it does not get clogged and you can rinse one piece out and just put a clean piece in and I soak mine in peroxide and water and lay them out in the sun to dry in between so it kills most of the algae cells if you have any free floating algae it works great to kill it off ..That looks good hope you see results soon and it could take a couple of days to get it all out

Reaction score
Well you are awesome! Did rinse it out after I took the photo and will do it first thing in the morning and during the day..each day. Will also do the peroxide and water mixture. I'll post photos if it clears up so you can see. Thanks again and have a great evening!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you too and keeping my fingers crossed you and your hubby can enjoy your pond again .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If you are having pea green water issues make sure that your pumps are not clogged and working well as they will help pump more water through the filters and marsh and that alone can help lots too. I did not see a lot of water movement in the pictures and am wondering if your pump is big enough?

Reaction score
If you look at my original post the pond actually looked the color of mud and then we emptied the pond and got to the green. Here is a photo of prior to our problem with the bog before we removed all of those plants and started fresh as shown in the photos shown when I joined the forum. So we have the bog, and we have two sources of water cascading..although the upper left is a spitter now instead of falling over the rocks. So is the bog, and two spitters enough for a 700 gallon pond? I'm posting this pic b/c I don't think I actually showed the entire pond yet.

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 206

Ask a Question