JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is sort of a continuation of last year's post about My Prairie Adventure, which you can see HERE.

I returned again this year, camped out a couple nights and had a lot of fun again. This year, I went a month earlier and the temps were much cooler than last year. Actually, it was extremely comfortable, though it rained the first day due to the remnants of Cristobal.

IMG_8492 copy.jpg

Sandhill Crane families were once again roaming the prairie. There's always a couple families in this area that can be reliably found.
IMG_7620 copy.jpg

IMG_8224 copy.jpg

IMG_8238 copy.jpg

There weren't too many prairie flowers blooming yet since it's still only Spring, but there were splashes of color here and there.

Blue Flag Iris
IMG_7590 copy.jpg

Prairie Phlox
IMG_7812 copy.jpg

Spiderwort
IMG_8521 copy.jpg

All sorts of Dragonfly species could be seen perched on various plants and stems.
IMG_7860 copy.jpg

IMG_8300 copy.jpg

There were also plenty of birds other than the cranes. I saw three or four Eastern Bluebirds, and equally as many Eastern Meadowlarks. Barn Swallows had nests on every building nearby. Warblers and Orioles were all around the campsite, flying from oak to oak.
IMG_8198 copy.jpg

IMG_8126 copy.jpg

IMG_8074 copy.jpg

Had a really nice surprise one day when a flock of seven American White Pelicans flew over the campsite.
IMG_8386 copy.jpg

Woke up early one morning to hit the trails. Wanted to get there before the crowds did. Our state parks have been crowded since reopening, so I wanted to do my best at social distancing. That's pretty much the goal of every camping trip, to be honest.

IMG_8004 copy.jpg

White-tailed Deer
IMG_7987 copy1.jpg

Paradise Springs.
IMG_8356 copy.jpg

IMG_8373 copy.jpg

Here's the view of State Natural Area #128, also known as Ottawa Lake Fen, taken from an unoccupied tent campsite.
IMG_20200611_130013901.jpg

Ottawa Lake at sunset.
IMG_7897 copy.jpg

Lastly, one of my favorite animals that live in the prairie, a Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel. They live in prairies across much of the U.S. They're closely related to prairie dogs, but are much smaller in size.
IMG_8170 copy.jpg

If you'd like to see the full slideshow, here it is!

and a short video of the cranes

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You have a wonderful life there enjoying so much beauty in nature! Love all your photo's!

It was a nice couple of days. Hadn't been camping in 8 months so it was much needed. Planning another one for autumn, just hoping things wont close back down by then.

Ask a Question