MY SANKE JUMPED OUT!!

Reaction score
So I was building a new pond for my Koi so they are in a temp pond, so when I was screwing down the sides I saw a tail perfectly inside a brick slot. I was confused until I picked it up, and it was my SANKE! He was dry as the desert.. Put him back in the water and he is back but seems very weak and fragile.. Been out atleast 30 mins to an hour. Never give up hope guys !!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I was building a new pond for my Koi so they are in a temp pond, so when I was screwing down the sides I saw a tail perfectly inside a brick slot. I was confused until I picked it up, and it was my SANKE! He was dry as the desert.. Put him back in the water and he is back but seems very weak and fragile.. Been out atleast 30 mins to an hour. Never give up hope guys !!
So glad you spotted him and could rescue him in time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You wont be the first person to have this happen it happened to a beautiful gin rin showa we had a few years ago sadly when I got out there to feed our koi was cooked through in the summer sun
You may well have major problms if he dried out in the sun the side that dried up will contract and nothing you can do will change this , thats if you were unlucky Calvin, we had a koi brought to us by a friend who found this one dried out on one side in a bucket we tried treating this poor koi for months but in the end sadly we had to put it to sleep by euthanizing him so dont hold your hope up you may well have already been too late :(

Dave

Reaction score
You wont be the first person to have this happen it happened to a beautiful gin rin showa we had a few years ago sadly when I got out there to feed our koi was cooked through in the summer sun
You may well have major problms if he dried out in the sun the side that dried up will contract and nothing you can do will change this , thats if you were unlucky Calvin, we had a koi brought to us by a friend who found this one dried out on one side in a bucket we tried treating this poor koi for months but in the end sadly we had to put it to sleep by euthanizing him so dont hold your hope up you may well have already been too late :(

Dave

So glad you spotted him and could rescue him in time!

He is swimming awkwardly.. Kind of at a slant.. Held him near the waterfall after that he got some energy dazzled some salt for his slime coat.. He's with the pack now.. But he does seem to just float around..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly Calvin you my well have been too late this time around keep an eye on him for a while and see how he goes if there's no change in a few weeks then you'll have to euthanize now we have to find a reason as to why he jumped (sometimes they go after flies and misjudge things ) other times its water quality issues so check them soonest and come back with them .
However if in doubt do a water change .

Dave

Reaction score
Sadly Calvin you my well have been too late this time around keep an eye on him for a while and see how he goes if there's no change in a few weeks then you'll have to euthanize now we have to find a reason as to why he jumped (sometimes they go after flies and misjudge things ) other times its water quality issues so check them soonest and come back with them .
However if in doubt do a water change .

Dave
He is actually a new one.. When I first bought him he was very jumpy.. All my other fishes actually swim around without jumping and enjoy it.. Could just be a jumper?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was confused until I picked it up, and it was my SANKE! He was dry as the desert.. Put him back in the water and he is back but seems very weak and fragile.

I had a similar experience earlier this year. My Comet jumped out, found him on the hot cement. he was dry and thought he was dead or at least going to be dead. Now he's happy and healthy. Lost a lot of his tail then, but its grown back now.

Good luck with yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder, would rubbing aloe directly from a plant ( ie. not out of a bottle so it's organic) would help the contracted skin?
It's not the skin thats the problem fishylove its the muscle layer under the skin that dries out constricts and becomes taught once this has happened as with the one brought to us there is no way to reverse the damage .
He is actually a new one.. When I first bought him he was very jumpy.. All my other fishes actually swim around without jumping and enjoy it.. Could just be a jumper?
Calvin did you acctually QT your koi for two months prior to it going into the main pond becaause if it had a parasite that causes it to flash and jump due to the irritation if you did'nt and you've missed something then it may well spread to your main population of koi :(

Dave

Reaction score
It's not the skin thats the problem fishylove its the muscle layer under the skin that dries out constricts and becomes taught once this has happened as with the one brought to us there is no way to reverse the damage .

Calvin did you acctually QT your koi for two months prior to it going into the main pond becaause if it had a parasite that causes it to flash and jump due to the irritation if you did'nt and you've missed something then it may well spread to your main population of koi :(

Dave
I didn't QT.. Sadly I know I should have but my QT pond is the temporary pond as I'm buying my pond.. Sadly I should of atleast isolated it.. He hasn't been flashing or jumping at all.. None of the koi are.. He just seems very slow now not fast as he first was..

Reaction score
I had a similar experience earlier this year. My Comet jumped out, found him on the hot cement. he was dry and thought he was dead or at least going to be dead. Now he's happy and healthy. Lost a lot of his tail then, but its grown back now.

Good luck with yours.
He's swimming! Just very slow :( I have hope!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Give it time. Hang in there. Keep his water clean and high in oxygen without excessive current.
Trust me my friend I think this koi will have alot of problems it dried out think of the damage the sun has done , think how long it takes to cook a piece of fish (not long).

Dave

Ask a Question