My set ups.. will these work untill the 10th?

Reaction score
And should I treat my pond for preventative measure? In the pictures below you will see a picture of the medicine I was told to use at the pond store, a picture of my med tank and my back up refill water. The interior view of my med tank is with the pump off. Only my tail less little guy is in there right now. will his tail grow back if he survives?

Attachments

• 0329091513_0001.jpg
    0329091513_0001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 0329091515.jpg
    0329091515.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 0329091517.jpg
    0329091517.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 0329091518.jpg
    0329091518.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 0329091516.jpg
    0329091516.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 325

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi California,

Sorry, but I am a bit confused as to what the initial problem is. The old above ground tub I had and the 365 gallon in ground pond that I have now are and were heavely planted. I was told early on that I should always introduce all of the aqautic plants first. Then give them a couple weeks to get established, and then add the fish to the pond. So far, I haven't had to medicate either of my ponds.

Would you clarify what started the problem that you medicate. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Ok well I rushed it and got excited here's the story I am sure it has been heard a million times. I was given my surprise early birthday present on the 8th of this month when my guy put in my very first pond 60 gal. We put in some plants and filled it with water waited as long as I could stand it (2 & 1/2 days) then went out and bough some feeder fish thinking if they die they were only a couple bucks. Of course from pets mart and of course I knew it was a bad idea to put them in my pretty little pond but I just wanted to sooo bad! The idea was to season my pond with the gold fish aka aquatic training wheels then adopt them out to loving homes and get ourselves a couple koi. Well we fell in love with the large gold fish ( about 2 or 3 inches) and the homes for the other little ones (about 1 inch) fell through. So For my birthday (march 19th) I was given a butterfly koi her name is monarc. after my birthday I became paranoid about monarc getting sick so I started watching them all very carefully and noticed the first signs of tail rot a few days ago. I rushed to get a make shift tank set up (since were broke right now after my birthday and my guys are 10 days apart were always broke this time of year) and here we are. I have 2 dead gold fish, (one by pump death not at all having to do with sickness) 1 found with white spots dead at the bottom of the pond, oh and 1 mosquito fish did not make it home from the pond store for got about that. I have one 30 gal can set up with a filter, and water pumping down into the can with one goldfish that has no tail (in only 3 days!) and a pond of gold fish that I am afraid are going to get sick. Now I am planning to adopt out the small fish as soon as their healthy but I don't know what to do next... I am panicking a bit. I medicated the pond and the med tank just to be sure, but I am afraid the next time I come home I will find a pond full of dead fish... I have noticed some build up at the bottom of the pond but have no idea how to get it all out. Is that why their sick or were they sick when I brought them home? will the tail or stumpy grow back? Should I take monarc out and try to set her up in her own tank? what should I do? I am treating with that blue stuff, and man does it stain! I hope I wont get flamed for this.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Now I can appreciate your frustration, and I feel bad for your situation.

Not sure waht kind of filtration you have in your 60 gallon pond, but it doesn't sound like that is the problem. To start with, your pond could be a bit small to start creating a balanced ecosystem. It does sound big enough to at least start a well potted water lilly in a container for water lillies, and place it on the bottom.

My fairly new 365 gallon pond has been in since last fall and right now I have one older water lilly that is several years old and two new ones that I just put in the pond this last week. The older lilly is sending it's first three lilly pads to the surface. I have found that the plants help create a healthy balance in the pond, and so far I have never had to medicate any of my indoor or outdoor fish.

Not sure what you should do with your existing pond fish, but I would at least get some healthy plant life started in your pond before you add more than one fish in your pond until youe plants are established. That shouldn't take to long. The fish need the natural plants and the plants need the fish. It's all about finding in balance in your pond.

I have a had heavily plants aquariums in my home for almost thirty years now, and I have enjoyed the beauty of an aquarium green with healthy live plants and compatable fish. As a newbie to outdoor ponds, I'm sure I might be on to something with the plants.

I hope this was helpful, and that it works for you.

Reaction score
I have 3 lilys, one canna (that has not sprouted in the 2 and a half weeks it's been in the pond) one bunch of umbrella plant, and 4 aquarium plants. I also have 4 hyacinth in there. And those little tiny plants that wee stuck to the hyacinth (I love those how can I grow more?) I wanted to give my fish as much cover and hiding spots as possible. The aquarium plants are doing well and growing fast, the lilys are putting out pads, and the umbrella plant is putting out a new shoot. I think the goldfish were sick when I bought them.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your off to a good start.

I had my first outdoor pond (came with the rental house), in Cupertino, CA. thirty years ago this spring. Always wanted a big pond with a real year round stream running thru it.

Fianlly got around to setting up the one I have. I really enjoy watching the fish, (Shubunkins). I picked Shubunkins because they won't get much bigger than my three eight inchers, and they have simular colors like the Koi.

Good chatting with you.

Reaction score
Well they all look better and Stumpy was seen yesterday swimming happily through the falling water! So so far so good his tail still looks a bit fuzzy but his activity and happy mood gives me reason to think he will pull through! If he makes it he has a permie home here with me in a pretty tank inside!

Reaction score
Hi Newbiein California, Sorry for all your woe and happy that stumpy has improved. Gold fish usually grow back their tail and fins. It takes a while and you will see the healing. The edges of the ragged tail/fins smooth out then they slowly grow. I am dealing with a problem in my pond with fish illness. I relate to your dread of finding additional dead fish. I hope not to find any more dead. Hope your pond improves. 60 gallons is sort of small and probably shallow making it easy for cats, raccoons and herons to step in and wreck your plants. Rose

Ask a Question