My Showa's finally swam in there new home

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had water in their new home for about 8 weeks and the filter has been running about 4 weeks
I have been holding off the transfer as long as i could
Around mid day today i saw a small male trying to have his way with the female :grumble:
It was time to move her and the male out

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are two pretty fish, bet they will make pretty babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Val and I have its cousin in our pond lol nice looking showa you have there Dr Chase our own has a black "V" across the forehead.
Not sure if what you saw was mating she looks to small for that at this monment in time.

rgrds

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Dave 54 said:
Val and I have its cousin in our pond lol nice looking showa you have there Dr Chase our own has a black "V" across the forehead.
Not sure if what you saw was mating she looks to small for that at this monment in time.

rgrds

Dave
Lol She may not be quite ready but that unapproved male was, and he was trying to get something started for sure .
I would like to see your showa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
IM000100.JPG

This is a fish we picked last year its a gin rin showa thought I had a photo of the other I'llhave a root about in the files .
Hope you like him

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here but I like the Gin Rin Kuhaku over its norman cousin,but they never seem to do well at shows which is a shame but they have a darker Hi over the normal ones dont you think ?.
However we are always on the look out for an interesting gin rin and from time to time we fin them..

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Norman Cousin lol sorry folks should have read normal what was I thinking.
Sorry folks the normans never went into koi breeding lol
Yes I also think that Gin Rin's dont appear that often in peoples ponds, as to why I dont know they are a beautiful fish in our veiw.
I think you'll agree with this, as once in your blood always in your blood and youll always keep them
At the moment I have the showa and a Kuhaku swimming along in my pond unfortunately the dreaded shimmi has appeared on the Kuhakus flamk .
God how I haate Shimmis but disagree with what some people do in cutting them out, m'mmm perhaps thats another thread.....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
NOT high quality fish, but of the babies I got the beginning of Dec, we have a few Gin Rins (not the colors being discussed). Wishing I understood what to look for better in the Gin Rins, as I plan to keep/grow out a few of them. Not looking for show quality, just want pretty variety for our pond.

Will post a few pics as thumb nails if anyone wants to see them... Dont want to hi-jack the thread.

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What your looking for in the Gin Rin is also what you would normally look for in doitsu and normal koi.In that we first look for a nice body shape.
The koi's head must not be disproportionate to the koi's body ( please note this can show up in koi suffering TB and other problems).
The koi's finnage mustnot be disproportunate to the koi's body, unless like you we are looking at butterfly koi.
Sadly these show no sign of catching on in the koi world as they are are only just catching on in the UK.Sadly as of yet these beautiful koi,have not been recognised by the British Koi Keepers Society.
The koi must have a nice even patterning Suni wise black) and the koi must have a nice Hi colouration (red).
Last but not least a Gin Rin must have a nice diamond paterning across its back but to all intents and purposes a Gin Rin is just the same as any koi that you can choose at a dealership just prefixed by Gin Rin, Gin Rin Sanke, Gin Rin Showa, Gin Rin Kuhaku etc etc.
Note I think your mistaking metalic for Gin Rin as I cant see any in the above photos unless the three Orange ones are but we'll have to wait a while longer for a propper ID of thes koi.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

I understand the value of great conformation, which I know these dont have, just trying to learn more about the scale pattern/shape of a reasonable reflective/diamond pattern ... not sure how to put that to words ...

I tried to grab the pictures that showed some of the gin rins, but I guess in the smaller images, it's hard to see. There ARE a lot of metallic fish, many of which I hope never become "acceptable colors" ...

Anyways, these 3 pictures are of different fish. Of a total of 103 fish, there are about 15 - 18 gin rins in total. Mostly yamabuki, a few hariwake, and a couple orenji (not double checking these spellings, so hope I am close) .. there's a couple I ***think*** are Gin Matsuba (white face/fins, silver gin rin backs) and a couple wee ones that still look all grey/silver (including the face) that I have no clue what they are LOL ... oh, and one Hi Utsuri, but it's pattern is really bad, so no interests in keeping that one ...

They are about twice the size they were in these pictures now. If I get the chance, will try to snap a couple good pictures. Damn lighting in the basment doesnt agree with my camera LOL. If it comes down to it, they will be getting moved outside in about a month or so, and will take pictures in a bowl then LOL.

Ask a Question