My sister has a huge, brand new pool liner.

Reaction score
OK, so my sister has this pool liner. It is huge, her pool was 4 ft deep, 12x20. I have heard of people using them for ponds, and while I am not ready for something that large (yet.) I do need to build a true bog.

Reaction score
I've thought about using the liner we have too. Idk if they would work well or not, but I hate to just throw away this 24' liner, because we're not keeping the pool this year. Too much work! :)

Reaction score
As long as it holds water and you're happy with the expected lifespan you're good to go.

I've often heard many people say you name it is toxic and with pool liners they'll add there's toxic pool chemicals on it...ubiquitously ridiculous internet expertise.

Reaction score
I built my koi pond using 40mil epdm roofing rubber. I just cleaned the powder off it with soup and water and let it dry. I lathered rinse and repeated until I felt comfortable. I worked for a roofing company and its the same rubber they use as pond liners and I have had fish in mine for over a year. I even have carpet algae growing on it so it cant be that bad.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use it for the bog rather than a pond, would be a real bummer to put that much work in the pond and have the pool liner give you issues. My neighbors pool liner is blowing all over, uv exposure, breaking it down to tiny pieces.

Reaction score
Didn't realize it was that thin. I paid $500 for a 50by50 piece of roofing rubber from a local roofing mart in my area. I'm sure if you don't need that much you can find a local store that will give you their left over rubber or maybe even a roofing company that has a fresh piece that they cut off the role that they will sell you for cheap.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know how old it is, the area exposed, i.e. no water, is just breaking apart. Making a mess.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Taz you can use it and it should last if you make sure none of it is exposed to direct sun light. I watched an above ground pool next door. First the sun ruined the cover. and it blew off. Then the sun started work on the liner. It cracked along the top which lowered the water level a bit. In not too long the liner was gone.

And that is not the end of the story. The house was purchased and I offered to buy the pool from the new owner. He said no he wanted to get a liner and let his kids use it. Never happened. Then one day the took it down and his wife put the screws into the chlorine dispenser.

In the end he gave it to me. I plan to clean the sand filter and use it to polish water on special occasions... The rest needs to go to the dump.

Reaction score
All plastic liners break down into little bits and blow all over the yard thanks to UV. Clear plasic 6 mil sheet breaks down into bits here in Phoenix in about 6-12 months. Blue woven tarps and white woven sand bags about 6-12 months and these really make a mess. Silver woven tarps about 2 years. Black plastic 6 mil about 2-3 years. PVC I read about 5 years, I'm testing it now and it's been 3 years. EPDM about 40-50 years I've read..

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Waterbug said:
All plastic liners break down into little bits and blow all over the yard thanks to UV. Clear plasic 6 mil sheet breaks down into bits here in Phoenix in about 6-12 months. Blue woven tarps and white woven sand bags about 6-12 months and these really make a mess. Silver woven tarps about 2 years. Black plastic 6 mil about 2-3 years. PVC I read about 5 years, I'm testing it now and it's been 3 years. EPDM about 40-50 years I've read..
Which is why I said. "Taz you can use it and it should last if you make sure none of it is exposed to direct sun light." :)

When we moved here the greenhouse had clear PVC sheets on it but they had been holed by hail. I found some new sheets of it in the garage rafters. It has holes again but worse the sun baked it to a dark brown. PVC+SUN = BAD

Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds like if I use it, then in about 2 years I will need to redo it. Which with ponds is nothing new since I will probably want to make some changes. Hmmmmmmm.

Ask a Question