My Swirl Filter DIY

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just finished up my swirl filter (for the most part) and figured since I researched for hours about everything, I'd try to save everyone else the time looking for what to buy, how to design and how to build it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s awesome and thank you for sharing! Turtle tanks are nasty, as well. If I ever have to make a turtle-only dedicated pond, this is something to consider. Mine are box turtles, so don’t spend a lot of time in the water, but when they do, things go downhill fast. They poop in their water and drag all kinds of dirt, mud and debris into it as they come and go.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@megamilez I also just watched your build video. You should market and sell these — I’d be your first customer! If you weren’t using it in a pressurized set-up, would it work as a gravity system (assuming it is housed above the level of the tank/pond)?

Reaction score
@megamilez I also just watched your build video. You should market and sell these — I’d be your first customer! If you weren’t using it in a pressurized set-up, would it work as a gravity system (assuming it is housed above the level of the tank/pond)?

I'm happy to build you one if you like! Just let me know

I believe it would actually be more applicable to a gravity system as the concern with the lid wouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@megamilez Could the return be lowered an inch or 2 and instead of a vacuum could you just use a bigger fitting for waste removal, just open the valve and let it flow out on it’s own? Not necessarily in your specific application but if someone wanted to use it for a pond.

Reaction score
@megamilez Could the return be lowered an inch or 2 and instead of a vacuum could you just use a bigger fitting for waste removal, just open the valve and let it flow out on it’s own? Not necessarily in your specific application but if someone wanted to use it for a pond.

Yes for sure. The actual input wouldn't necessarily be able to be lowered much more with that exact barrel, however, putting a 90 degree elbow at the end on the inside would def serve the same purpose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to give a little update here. I'm currently in the process of getting a listing setup on Amazon (turtlemommy kinda inspired me haha).

I haven't sold on amazon before so I'm not sure what the fees will look like - which will be a factor in determining the pricing.

I plan to offer a few different options for piping diameter / whether or not you need it "pressure tight" like mine / location options for inlets (not height but which side you'd want it on so it works best with your system.

If you're interested feel free to comment just so I have an idea :)

Reaction score
MegaMilezSwirlLogoFinal.png
Oh, and my logo for it haha :p

Reaction score

I actually modified my design today to a simple pipe with a 90 degree elbow. While the vacuum allows for some more precision to get total coverage on the bottom - if you get some air in the hose the syphon stops and makes draining the gunk too time consuming. This change will prevent that and allow me to just rinse out the remainder with a waterhose.

Ask a Question