Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
PH: 8.5
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
These are the results of a 5 week old new pond.
I think i can add gold fish now??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I just went through the start-up of my first pond. Lots of testing until all the tests were right. Added fish and NO2 went to max over night. It was panic city until I got advice to add Prime. That knocked it down to zero for 24-48 hrs then it rose again but not as far. Added prime again and that time NO2 stayed down and it has all been perfect since. My theory is I had bacteria to handle the ammonia but the NO2 bacteria were not that far along. So, my advice on meager experience is get the ammonia to zero, then add some fish and test and be ready with enough prime to handle any nitrite or ammonia level rises.

To get a better answer from the folks here you need to give some info on your pond: description of pond, bog, filtration, pumps, aeration and how many fish you want to add to start. I added five, 4 inch shiniest (they were on sale 5 for $40.00). That was to much for my 1200 gallon pond with bog, skimmer and waterfall. See my pond today in picture. Water is still green but all tests are great. Fish are so happy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your nitrogen cycle is only just beginning. It could take another couple months to complete. Maybe even longer if you're running UV. Patience.

Reaction score
The day you filled your pond you could have added fish. How long did you wait as a kid to put goldfish in a bowl? Just because someone says it loud enough and often enough does not make it a fact. Things get repeated over and over again on the internet. Fish are fish and these are not rare tropical fish, they are carp.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, you can add a fish. You need something in the pond to get the cycle going. You can do it fishless or start with one, small goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What can i do to get the cycle going? As you can see Theirs plants, bubblers and waterfalls. I really don't know what to look for except the water readings that seem to be pretty good.

Attachments

• 20190517_192657.jpg
    20190517_192657.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20190517_192730.jpg
    20190517_192730.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would totally add a couple of fish. For some reason I thought you had them in there already! (But now that I think about it, I think I had you confused with @MajorDan and all his neighborhood kids coming round to feed his fish!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Me too, I originally thought you had fish. Yes, add fish. That will 'kick start' the cycle. Your pond is beautiful. Please package it up and send it to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Start with two. Your initial numbers tell me you’re not cycled. Add 2 fish and test daily. You’re going to see the ammonia go up. Keep it at 2 fish til you see some nitrates.

Reaction score
How many fish can i add?
If you are talking about small goldfish, the size you would put in a fishbowl you could add 20 and it wouldn't make a hill of difference. They are small and grow very slowly. On the other hand, if you are talking about koi then one would be the limit from what I can tell from looking at the picture. Just don't try and overthink things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
[B]bettasngoldfish[/B]: What do you mean until my filter matures? Are you saying not to backwash. If i don't backwash once a week the pond gets cloudy.

What should my readings be when the pond is finely cycled?

Ask a Question