My Thanksgiving Day with the pond

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
While the turkey was roasting I took the pump out of the skimmer, took it all apart and cleaned it, and put it back together. It's in the basement in a small cooler filled with water. I also put an airstone in the pond. I only had enough tubing to reach to the front part of the pond, which is not the deepest part, so the airstone hangs down about 8" in a depth of 16". The deepest part is about two feet. Is this okay or should I buy longer tubing to reach to the deepest part of the pond?

The fish seem to hang in the upper half of the water, but they're not gasping for air or anything, just hanging there looking pretty. The birds, of course, are confused by the fact that their favorite little waterfall has dried up! The water is low 50s now. I'm going to pull out the Taro and trim the iris today and I'll be all done (I think).

We've had some seriously torrential downpours here in Philly area over the last couple of months, so I haven't done any water changes. The bottom of the pond is pretty clean. I can see two leaves rotting on the bottom, but cannot reach them and they're almost lace at this point. Is rain water an acceptable water change? I'll check the readings today to make sure everything is hunky dory.

Anything I forgot (or didn't know) to do?

Hope all you US folks had a terrific holiday!

Joanie

Reaction score
Your airstone is at the right depth for winter. You could even pull it up a tad to 6". You don't want to disturb the lowest levels of water so that stays warm where the fish will hunker down.

If your pond is officially shut down--meaning you've turned off your filtration and you're no longer feeding, then you're done. Rain falling in is no big deal and no more water changes are needed until spring.

Sounds like you've done all the right things. Enjoy your winter break and get ready for a big spring cleaning. I would recommend buying food at this time, as it's cheaper. You can do winter prep stuff to get ready for your reopening.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
HA HA! Yeah, somehow I knew as soon as I hit the button, that my post might elicit a smart retort! :fish2: DH is a Steelers fan. I know he'd much rather have me busy doing almost anything than sitting on the couch asking him stupid questions, especially if they're losing, although I'm getting better at figuring out what's going on..

Reaction score
Yeah, you should start watching the Colts. You don't have to like football to enjoy watching them play. History in the making.

Ask a Question