My third attempt at a pond!

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I've been reading posts on here for a while and thought it was about time I introduced you to my third pond project, which is almost completed ;)

Some pictures of the pond and occupants will be added once my post count reaches 5, as I'm not allowed to add any until then ;)

My first pond was very out of proportion, with the same waterfall that I currently have and a 200 litre pond with 2 comets and 1 shubunkin.

The next pond I had permission to dig was put in the location of the first pond and was 750 litres, with the same waterfall and fish and the addition of 2 ghost koi and 2 koi.

Then having managed to get my better half interested in the fish / pond, I finally obtained permission to dig my final pond (at this house), which has the same waterfall, but is 4000 litres, has 3 more koi, 1 more comet and 1 goldfish.
It has a planting area with waterfall which is fed by a 1500 lph pump which is split to provide a jet in the pond.
The main pump is running 2800 lph at 1m head and feeding through a 15W UV before the filter and then down the waterfall.
There are 2 airstones in the corners at the deep end and I have 3 underwater spotlights.
The dimensions of the main pond are 2.4m long x 1.8m wide and 0.8m deep under the waterfall increasing to 1.15m deep at the opposite end where the pump is.

Hope my description is not too boring for you and I'll put some pictures up as soon as I'm allowed to :coolgleema:

The fish are all happy and vary from 1.5" long to 12" long.

We've named them all :banana: so here are their names and descriptions from largest to smallest so you can try and recognise them in the pictures (to follow):

NAME___COLOUR___TYPE (I think)

Jasper___Yellow / Black___Ghost Koi
George___Blue / Grey___Soragoi Koi?
Tigger___Black / Orange___Hi Utsuri Koi
Piglet___White / Black (no scales)___Doitsu Shiro Bekko Koi
Big Ben___Yellow___Koi
Patch___Black / White / Orange___Showa Koi
Slimer___Black / Silver___Ghost Koi
Snowy___White___Platinum Koi
Jelly___White with red tail and fins___Sarasa Comet
Sweeney Todd___White with lots of spotty bits___Shubunkin
Harry___Red with white bits___Sarasa Comet
Buzzy___White with red spots___Sarasa Comet
Squirt___Black / Golden red___Goldfish

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum ..
pics will help us see what your talking about..
will wait for # 5

Reaction score
And now for some pictures.............

The view from the bedroom....
DSCF1407.jpg

Some shots at night time.......
DSCF1432.jpg

DSCF1434.jpg

continued..........

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

My first pond was only built because I wanted a waterfall. I bought the two piece concrete water fall with 150 lph pump, preformed 200 litre pond and a dozen rocks and a couple of buckets of slate for a bargain at £50. It was more of a water feature, but we decided to put a couple of fish in.

Here is a pic:
DSCF1161.jpg

I then decided that the pond was out of proportion to the rockery that I built for the waterfall, so upped the pond to a new preformed pond of 750 litres. we then got a few more fish, one thing led to another and a year later I got the shovel out again.

Here's a pic of my second attempt:
IMAGE_031.jpg

They say that 'you should build your second pond, first'. I my case it should have been my third pond, first. I couldn't though because I needed to convince my better half with the first two and slowly getting larger :biggrin:

I looove to dig :D

Reaction score
Great job! Gorgeous fish and I love the photos taken at night. I've been trying to get photos of ours at night but they never turn out. Either the flash is too bright and ruins the look or it's not enough and you can't see anything.

Reaction score
nigil said:
what's the fencing keeping out?

If you're referrring to the fencing around the second pond, we had a few local cats (including our own) interested in watching the fish.
A few electric shocks later :D and they're not that interested any more :biggrin:

I think they were only interested in looking rather than catching, but I nipped that in the bud.

DrDave said:
Very nice pond and George is cute too.

Thanks DrDave. Everyone should have a 'George' in their pond, he's like a Labrador, always pleased to see you and comes straight over to say hello.
He was recommended by my local fishery. Great advice, made the others much more friendly instantly!

Shaeward said:
I love the photos taken at night

Thanks, all I did was turn the flash off, leave the rest on auto and stayed as still as possible.

Reaction score
My latest and final addition to my pond is pictured below.

He's called Gin and he is about 12" long and is a Ginrin Hariwake.
He's got the most enormous fins, which suggests that he's probably going to grow into them :D

Hope you like him............
DSCF1500.jpg

DSCF1502.jpg

Ask a Question