Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love my little patio pond! It was my first pond and my impetus to go big! One year I even moved the whole thing indoors so I could enjoy my little pond all winter. I was hoping to save my plants, but realized it was WAY too much work for the end result. The plants survived (barely - not enough natural light, and I didn't want to set up grow lights) but it took them weeks to really get growing once I put them back outside. Now I use a lot of plant cuttings from my big pond to plant out my container pond in the spring, so I don't feel like I have to spend a lot of money to re-purchase plants every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, Lisa. I plan to take the pond and fish inside as otherwise I will have a large block of ice. The plants I was advised to leave outside in mulch and perhaps some may survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@EricV I would do more than mulch your plants. I have buried mine in the ground and gotten them to survive, but mulch in our winters - probably wouldn't help much.

Just dig a hole and bury them like you were planting them. Cut the foliage back to 4-6 inches above the ground. And mark where you put them so you don't forget... like I am prone to do! I even have to take pictures so I can remember in spring what in the heck is going on in my garden!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe that's what I was told. :) Great, I will just bury them right where they are, close to the house.

Ask a Question