My unfiltered pond in Delaware

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Newark, DE (home of the U of DE). I loved The Country Journal magazine (now defunct, sorry to say) and learned how to dig & produce my own pond without a filter. My husband was turning 70 and we were having a party - so (in spite of a huge drought that summer) I dug an 850 gal pond. I didn't know about a lot of the pointers - but now it is 2019 and the pond is still great (and so is my hubby!) - the fish and most plants winter okay - and even tho I have had my ups and downs with it, I still love it and my fish. I haven't cleaned it out (REALLY cleaned it out) in years. But I read that you shouldn't empty all of the water - just about 1/2 at the most - as the fish and plants need those beneficial bacteria which are in it. I use a large aerator with 2 stones all the time. My biggest enemy was blue herons - which live nearby - and were eating my fish. They would sit on my neighbor's roof and gaze around at everybody's pond to see if there were any orange flashes visible. So I started netting the pond - which is a pain in the neck (and often little garter snakes try & drink from the pond and get caught in the web of the net.) This year I had a HUGE growth in my plants. I always have an iris in a pot and another ? in a pot and two little variegated ?? in a pot - which winter over. I bought a huge pot of parrot feathers - and sunk the whole pot in there (It is 1' deep and one end and 3' at the other). I bought 4 water hyacinths (which of course die in the fall) - 2 were lifted by a dishonest neighbor and I bought 4 more. I must have 30 now from divisions!!! (my one neighbor cut down a tree and I have more sunlight now). Every year I have some babies, since I have no filter and they can hide in the foliage & other places. We had another WET summer and I must have 30 new beautiful colorful goldfish babies now. I'm trying to give some away. Two years ago I had 500 bullfrog tadpoles - which were amazingly huge. I gave a ton of them away and put some in our local creek. Every year, for some reason, frogs show up - and by mid-summer they are gone. I wonder why that is? I have 5 adult fish - one very large comet. One fantail I love, but don't seem to get them to reproduce. When we have emptied our pond in the past, we put a pump in it with a screen (so as not to vacuum up teeny fish) and drain it into the veggie garden - which LOVES that fish poo. I have trouble this year with acorns falling in the pond. They float, thank goodness, so I can net them out. I got those little "muck away balls" from The Pond Guy - and also use that stinky liquid stuff that is supposed to put a lot of good bacteria in there. My pond has been pretty tea-colored this year, and I guess I am due to clean it out 50% again. My net has been off for over a month due to the over abundance of plants this summer - but I'd better get it back on. I've never had raccoon troubles, thank goodness.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats really neat that you have an unfiltered pond doing so well! We love pics if you want to post any;)

Ask a Question