My vines pond

Reaction score
I have hand dug ponds before upto 3000G, I have many years of aquarium keeping upto 220G tank and currently have 75G high tech CO2 injected planted tank. I have a green thumb for aquatic plants. After moving to a house with a pool and not much room. I decided to start with a pre-formed pond to see how it went this summer and start planning and digging for next spring. I am over wintering some aquatic plants (yellow iris, hard lily in the cold storage room for the new pond, never done this before so will see how the plants recover in the spring)

This is what I have done so far.

The area behind the pool and up against a large vine is where I plan to squeeze the pond.
DSC04412.jpg
I put in a pre-formed for the first summer to grow some aquatic plants and see what the light duration would produce.
DSC04415.jpg
finished pre-formed
DSC04448 (1).jpg
Previous owner had water less pond into many layers of rock and shallow pvc liner. It was horrible and was a breeding ground for mosquitoes so torn it down and sold most of the rock slabs, since I would not need this much rock for the new pond. I still have a town of slate slabs and many small rocks for edging left over. More than I need.
DSC04450.jpg

I removed the pre-formed and put the plants in the cold storage for the winter. I started shaping the new pond and digging to estimate it's size and layout.
I will see how much progress I can make before the snow flies. Stay tuned.
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDE1LTAwMTMyLmpwZw.jpg

Reaction score
I bought Tetrapond 1500 pressurized filter, Tetrapond 1900 GPH pump. And plan to use a Savio waterfall as well.

Reaction score
Here is the pond a month after installing everything. Now have 5 Koi in the pond all are doing well and a couple of frogs as well

Added some more plants today.  Trying some new marginal plants and added some new edge plants including thyme in the stream.  Pictures from today.

5778ce69.jpg

fd7fc648.jpg

a5987684.jpg

be4a57c7.jpg

9cad9fb5.jpg

2c8ad40c.jpg

edf4050a.jpg

77c31fda.jpg

a98f6a0c.jpg

4daf45e1.jpg

72fd50da.jpg

a video of the backyard, pool and pond location

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss34/newday3000/New pond project/0345ae15.mp4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ask a Question