My waters gone green!

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cleaned out my pond a week or so ago and filled it from the tap. It was as clear as a bell but has now turned green. Is that normal, is that a problem, should I do anything. My intentions are to plant some plants and later maybe put a few Goldfish in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh so many questions... the usual. How big, how deep, any filtration, etc etc etc.

But yes - any amount of water left to it's own devices will turn green. Leave water in a bucket for a week and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Completely normal. This is what happens when you start out completely new.
We call it new pond syndrome.

This is why we don't recommend emptying and scrubbing out a pond unless there has been a contamination or it has been so neglected that it has become a complete mess. If there hasn't been a contamination it is advisable to save some of the original water.

Until all the parts of the puzzle are all in place and it has enough time to cycle, the water will turn green.

Add lots of plants and some type of filtration. Wait a couple weeks and add a few inexpensive goldfish. I originally used "feeder" goldfish. At the time they were something like 10 cents each (U.S.) Most of them are still in my pond 12 years later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I cleaned out my pond a week or so ago and filled it from the tap. It was as clear as a bell but has now turned green. Is that normal, is that a problem, should I do anything. My intentions are to plant some plants and later maybe put a few Goldfish in.
I‘m guessing you know the green is algae! Algae is great for fish. It is food. It helps hide them from predators, and it helps synthesize fish waste into non harmful elements. Now for the bad part... people don’t like the green and it hides the fish! Never put in chemicals to remove algae if you are planning to add fish. It will just mess up the chemical balance of the water and it will be next to impossible to get it right for your fish. Things that remove algae... biological filtration, shade, tadpoles and snails, and leafy plants that cover the water, and uv filters. Also many ponds turn green every year in the spring before the beneficial bacteria in their biological filters start working. When the green magically goes away I know my pond has “cycled”!!

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the information and advice. I have started to work out what plants to use.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
“Our pond is about Four feet wide X Three feet deep X Fifteen feet long which I worked out at about one cubic yard or 1,000 gallons of water but please correct my maths if I’m very far out. The local Heron cleared it of Goldfish last year, Pond weed went berserk as did the Lilies so I emptied the pond and will start again. I don’t plan to put goldfish in neither do I intend to use a filtration system but will listen to advice.

I bought the plants set out below and recognise that I need more but how many do I need and of what sort?

I knew nothing of planting depths, just planted them, they survived but the planting advice set out below confuses me.

Do I adhere to the advised planting depth or do as I did last time which was simply to plant them on the bottom?

Hippuris Vulgaris planting Mares Tail (Hippuris Vulgaris), shallow water plant, is a native plant useful as a marginal and an oxygenating aquatic plant. Planting depth 3” to 8” inches of water above soil level.

Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides 'Variegata' will spread to form a dense mat of foliage that offers excellent cover for wildlife. Height: 6" inches Spread: 100cm 39" inches Planting depth 10” inches.

Mimulus Ringens Grow submerged in the shallow margins of ponds with the crown to a maximum depth of up 6" inches below water level. Choose a position in sun or dappled shade.

Iris Versicolour grow in the shallow margins of ponds with the crown to a maximum depth of up 6" inches below water level.

I would welcome some comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A pond of 3 ft x 4 ft x 15 ft = 210 cu ft. which is 7.77 cubic yards, or about 5 cubic meters.
If this were a full rectangular container, i.e., with vertical sides and no plant shelves or steps, it would contain about 1575 gallons.
Hope this helps. I'm an engineer and a complete newbie in relation to plants so I can't offer advice on those.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry no experience with no filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plant as many as you want of whichever you like. There really is no magic formula - although some will tell you that there is. "For a pond of X size buy XX number of plants." They don't mention what to do when XX turns into XXXXXXXXX! And it will. I try to have a mix of foliage types, flowering plants, tall things, low things, floating things, spreading things... just like you would in any other garden application. Tuck plants wherever you see a useful spot!

Most marginals prefer to be about 2-4 inches below the surface, although things like mare's tail will grow from much deeper. Just play around with it and see what works. It should be fun! I know plants are expensive, but as time goes by you'll learn what grows well for you, what you don't like dealing with, what didn't work, etc.

Ask a Question