My wife is going to ban me from LFS soon!!!

Reaction score
My wife is going to ban me from the LFS soon. I used to live 50 miles east of where I do now, and used to travel to this one shop in particular to buy my Discus when I was keeping and breeding them just over a decade ago. The shop stopped doing them due to a lot of shops around the country selling sub-standard Discus for a lot less money (saturating the market). I went in there today and they have just opened a new Discus room (well it is a South American room with L# pleco's and rare Corydoras sp. as well as top quality Discus!!! It was like old times had come back to me (I only went there to take a look at what pond plants they had!!!!).

Looks like after the ponds have been completed, that my next project is a 600 litre (roughly 150 US Gallons) "Rio Negro" tank as well as some smaller breeding tanks (as I know I can successfully spawn both the Discus & Corydoras sp. as I used to supply them to other fishkeepers from my own successful spawnings).

Needless to say I am already up to almost £1500 with the setup (without the fish!!!) and thankfully I kept my old Eheim Pro cannister filters from the old setups in the loft here (media will need a good clean I suppose after 10 years in storage!).

Be a nice Autumn/Winter project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like you better start saving your pennies. The guy we use to go to for used parts had several tanks in his house. One was a discus tank. They are gorgeous fish.

Reaction score
Every time I go to a LFS or pet store, I end up coming home with something new that I didn't go in there to get. The other week, I went to get more food for the birds in the aviary & ended up coming home with another 13 assorted finches (had to draw the line at the Gauldian finches as £120 a pair!!!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That was me when we had our saltwater tank. Now it's a freshwater and I can control myself with that. Sounds like you have quite the collection of animals.

Reaction score
Too many but all part of my life and always have been. Once the outdoors is finished (new aviary after the ponds), the Discus tank is going in to progress. The only animals I am not too fond of are the wife's rats!!!!!

Ask a Question