Mystery at the humminbird feeder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Another 1st this year at the ole homestead that has me puzzled... at least 3 times now at night or daybreak something has pulled every little flower from the hummingbird feeder and has enjoyed the sugar water till it's about gone. Nothing else damaged on the feeder. Not sure what it it is.. 1st thinking raccoon but wouldn't think he would be that gentle with the feeder..... then moved to a bear but thought nahh. Lol (joking - located Indianapolis suburbs). So what are your thoughts? Here is the feeder and location on the deck...so pretty asscebile to most creatures. Also 2nd single feeder never touched... common critters squirrels, opossum, raccoons, chipmunks. Guess if it keeps up I'll keep an eye out for a chubby sugar rushed critter...lol
20190713_121033.jpg

FB_IMG_1563045668362.jpg
FB_IMG_1563045675557.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you have bats? I know they like the nectar and feed at night. Racoons love it too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need a cam see what is attacking your feeders.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whatever it is I'd say raise the feeders so they can't get their grubby little paws on it! I'm voting squirrels too.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Squirrels are extremely determined to get bird seed and nectar! . We have our feeders on 10' sections of cast iron pipe and the squirrels climb right up it. We installed the Audubon torpedos and no more problems. We have even had squirrels climb up chimney and jump from roof to get to the feeders!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use this one, the squirrels climb up and hang on it but can't reach the food. It is on a 20 foot pole. They stick their paws in and grab bits, but can't get much. Not my picture
They have their own feeder on the deck.
c.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well the bandit was caught red handed last night... a small raccoon. Hopefully the flashlight scared it away but I doubt it. Hopefully it stays to lazy with the free sugar water and sunflower seeds to get any interest in my fish.

Thanks for all the input.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of raccoons, they have never touched the ponds or fish. The deer are my problem they love the lily pads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We have tons of raccoons, they have never touched the ponds or fish. The deer are my problem they love the lily pads.

Good to know they prefer not to mess with the fish...guess to much free easy access items to try and mess with the fish. Hope it stays that way as well.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had a racoon problem at one time. They kept stealing the kitty litter jug filled with koi food. Food now stays inside.

Ask a Question