mystery holes in the liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 16 year old Butyl liner has developed small roundholes and is leaking as a result, any idea what might have caused them?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Please tell us some more about your pond and your set-up. Post pictures, too, as that might help us understand better what’s going on. Basically, the more information you can provide, the better. Could you have animals that are getting into the pond — either gnawing on or scratching the liner?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-1_9-57-22.gif
@Dorset Pond Man We can't see any photos. I think it takes awhile after you first join to be allowed photos maybe?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I found it by going to media. How thick is that liner? Almost looks like a bug chewed a hole in it. I've heard of leaf cutter bugs but sure didn't think they could cut through a liner! No idea what could do this.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are the holes everywhere or just in certain spots? Like, are they closer to the top edge, or do they go to all depths?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is a photo of the holes he is talking about. I took it from the media section here on the forum where he put it.

full

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Did you mean they are all around the liner and above the water line or just above the water line?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like some kind of chewing bug or critter. How thick did you say it was? If not very thick you made need to replace it w/ something much thicker to stop it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dorset Pond Man Have you had rocks piled on top of or under the liner? And was an underlayment used when the liner was installed? If not something chewing it, it almost looks like worn spots.

What about birds (herons or something pecking?) or even critters digging from underneath the pond and liner. @sissy I believe had critters damage her liner from underneath.

And another thought, do you know the warranty info on the liner? If the liner is 16 years old, maybe it’s at the end of its useful life-span. Did you install the liner yourself, or was it already in place when you acquired the property? Maybe it’s older than you think. Just a wild thought....

Ask a Question