Mystery Stank!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How's that for a fun thread title?

I have a little container water garden that has been doing very well until recently. It is a giant plastic planter - I'm guessing about 30 gallons. It's the kind you would plant a small Japanese Maple in. You could carry a big load of laundry in it -- that size. I have a small water lily in it, parrot's feather, and a small lotus. No fish. I started it last fall, I think.

It was all great until about a month ago. I pulled some plants from in and around the big pond, and stuck them in the container to keep them alive for their future replanting in the new, under-construction pond. I shook off most of the dirt, but not all. That was somehow the catalyst for some nasty, stinky water. It's not like bright green algae water. More like black, gross swamp water. I've dumped and changed it several times. I finally pulled out all the extra stuff I put in there and composted it. The water continues to get funky and smelly. It develops this iridescent sheen on the surface, like an oil slick. It smells HORRIBLE! I just dumped it out again, thinking maybe I'd find a rotten chipmunk carcass in there or something. Nothing looks amiss. I just refilled and the lily, parrot's feather and some duckweed are all alive and looking fine.

If I need to, I can just get rid of it all. It stinks up the whole yard. I wonder if it is due to the extreme heat? My big container lotus pool is also stagnant but is crystal clear and lovely - has been for two years. What is up with this smaller one? It's very interesting - but mighty smelly!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sure sounds as if something is rotting. Any dead snails caught up in the plants, rotted roots? You need a process of elimination, have you tried putting the plants in an another container temporarily - if that smells, then it's something with the plants. Water only in the container - does that start to smell? Good luck!

Ask a Question