Name that plant!

Reaction score
You're the next contestant on "Name that plant"!

OK, this little hitch-hiker came in on a golden club plant given to me by a family friend in Augusta GA. He called it Duck weed but, after a Google search, I don't think so. Anyone know what it is? Or a better question is: Should I get it out of my pond before it turns into the creature from the black lagoon?!?

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5722&stc=1&d=1306520019

Attachments

• p 1.JPG
    p 1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 286

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
it's Parrot feather, Really good plant for eating up unwanted nitrates and does well even in light freezes, Not sure how well it does in a hard freeze but I would definetly keep it, but you may want to transplant it to another place or pot once it gets bigger and starts sending out roots from the stem as it will eventually take over that pot and take away from the golden club as it gets bigger. They seem to do better in moving water than still water but will grow in both.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It survives here fishing, just dies back, the stems sort of float around, when spring comes starts to grow again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We freeze here at times and the pond will freeze over but the cold never kills mine either. They are hardy buggers and I love them in my pond. They always come sprouting up faithfully each Spring :yikesu:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here is a photo of Parrots Feather. That photo is similar but I don't think it is the same as this. I sell a lot of it each year. Some think it is invasive. I have never had any problem controlling it.

Attachments

• Parrots Feather Many.jpg
    Parrots Feather Many.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 273

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
Here is a photo of Parrots Feather. That photo is similar but I don't think it is the same as this. I sell a lot of it each year. Some think it is invasive. I have never had any problem controlling it.

It's the same thing, his is just starting to break the water surface yours have been growing a while. I see them from time to time start up in seperate pots like that, I guess from seed??? Never seen them seed out but I have seen them start in some weird spots so I'm guess they can.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I have read in the winter, here we freeze, take the parrots feather sink it below the ice level and it will survive and come back in the spring. Mine was below the ice and came back. Our ice was 8 inches thick.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
anyone ever try a plant called sundrops at least thats what they call it here .It has a pretty pink flower and blooms all the time and seems to spread a lot and comes back every year .Found out it comes in yellow also , is it safe for ponds and fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They both were my favorite men of course besides my sons . Dad and brother both deceased now .

Ask a Question