Name this plant?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of plant this is?
The area in the photo is in the ditch by the road. I removed a tree stump and left a big hole. Now this hole has turned into a small pond per say. Approx. 5'x6'. It is about 12-16" deep. This plant has started going this spring and actually looks pretty nice. It's root system is very stringer per say. This little area has a slow feed from 2 ponds about 1/8 mile up the road from me.
I was thinking of trans planting some of this to my header pond once it is finished as a filtering system.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Don

Attachments

• plant 2.jpg
    plant 2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 327
  • plant 1.jpg
    plant 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 356
  • plant 3.jpg
    plant 3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 333

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get something similar here that grows in the drainage ditches and gets spines on it when it gets taller .The leaf looks similar to what we get but not sure what ours is but the spines on the ones here make you itch when they scratch you .They get spines when they are about 6 to 8 inches tall and sometimes get a flower after that that has spines around it .Not sure that is the same plant .Do your neighbors maybe have plants like it that there seed got washed down to your house and you ended up with a free plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Carl sounds good to me! :razz:
I did not notice any mint smell. I do have mint that grows in the ditch. But it has grown there for years and I never noticed this plant. I believe that this is something different. I am going to keep my eye on it and see if it grows the spines that sissy mentioned and or the bloom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine that get spines gets a purple flower and some kind of round thing after that that look similar to a tomato and stinks.Hope it's not that because it is very invasive at least here it is .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost looks like primrose creeper. If it gets small yellow flowers it just might be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plant update! I have sent the pictures to the ODNR. They do not know what it is based on the pics of the leafs. They would like for me to send them pictures when the plant flowers. I will also post them here.
Thanks
Don

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So the plant in question has bloomed. Here are a more pics.
Any Ideas??????????
icewaterdon

Attachments

• Picture 085.jpg
    Picture 085.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Picture 090.jpg
    Picture 090.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 300

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
KInda looks like some kind of Phlox but not sure. What is that last pic on the right? I see little sprouts coming out of it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like blue forgetmenot

Snap35.jpg

See if it looks like this.

DSC03181.jpg

This is it in the bog blooming. It grows great and blooms all summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I live in Ohio, So I sent the pictures to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Here is what the plant is
Drum roll please.................................. Veronica anagallis-aquatica (water speedwell)

Here are some comments from them
Yes, easily recognized now. It is water speedwell, Veronica anagallis-aquatica. This is not a particularly common or widespread species in Ohio, and nearly always is found in waters that are enhanced by cool spring outflows. I see he is in Champaign County, which is one of the regions where this plant is most easily found.

Ask a Question