Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I was curious to know if anyone here has a reef aquarium or had one in the past? I have been looking into them lately because I recently converted the 90 gallon aquarium that used to be a saltwater tank into a plant only vivarium. I still have all the equipment to run a saltwater habitat including the high intensity UV-ABC lighting system and have a 45 gallon bow front tank that is not being used for anything at the moment and would be ideal for the saltwater equipment which can maintain up to 100 gallons max so it would be more than adequate for a 45 gallon environment. I know that reefs are probably the absolute hardest thing to grow and maintain in a artificial setting but that's all part of the fun because the real reason I like ponds and terrariums so much is the challenge of building and maintaining them. That's probably the reason why I have rebuilt the largest pond (2,215 gallons) 4 times and redesigned the filtration, water flow and rainwater collection systems many times. My main questions are, where would one get live reef starters from ? and how much do they cost?

Here is an example of the scale and style of aquarium I plan on setting up (Image)
mini-reef-aquarium-nano.jpg

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I keep a 100G and a 30G and also kepted a 8G and 12G nano... Nano's are harder since the sensitivity to changes in water chem to environment is very easy to screw up, but it is a challenge. Where I live, there's a couple of salt aquarium suppliers so it's just a matter of getting the bits you need. There's online shops as well, and good for supplies... but tricky for livestock if they don't pack/ship well.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Garden Pond Forums has a sister site which deals exclusively with reef tanks - Living Reefs :)
I've browsed that forum, saw Becky there too(y). Some fantastic tanks there. I don't feel I have enough input to join now, though I was a reefer at one time.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My main questions are, where would one get live reef starters from ? and how much do they cost?
When I was doing it you could buy live sand and live rock, but the condition you receive it in is important.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was curious to know if anyone here has a reef aquarium or had one in the past? I have been looking into them lately because I recently converted the 90 gallon aquarium that used to be a saltwater tank into a plant only vivarium. I still have all the equipment to run a saltwater habitat including the high intensity UV-ABC lighting system and have a 45 gallon bow front tank that is not being used for anything at the moment and would be ideal for the saltwater equipment which can maintain up to 100 gallons max so it would be more than adequate for a 45 gallon environment. I know that reefs are probably the absolute hardest thing to grow and maintain in a artificial setting but that's all part of the fun because the real reason I like ponds and terrariums so much is the challenge of building and maintaining them. That's probably the reason why I have rebuilt the largest pond (2,215 gallons) 4 times and redesigned the filtration, water flow and rainwater collection systems many times. My main questions are, where would one get live reef starters from ? and how much do they cost?

Here is an example of the scale and style of aquarium I plan on setting up (Image)
View attachment 86771

I've kept reef aquariums for 30 years, from 50g to 600g. If you don't find the answers you're looking for over on the other site, let me know.
I don't have the time to participate in as many other forums as I would like.
This is my main forum.(y)

Ask a Question