National Park Pass (for seniors)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mgmine, Aug 14, 2017.

1. mgmine

mgmine

Effective 8/28/17 the cost for a U.S. lifetime national park pass is going up from $10 dollars to $80 dollars. If interested in getting one before the price increase here is a link.

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

mgmine, Aug 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. mgmine

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We have three, bought one in AZ since I left ours at home, in MD, bought one at the beach, still have it somewhere..........left purse in camper picked up another. Cheap and saves you a lot of money on the camping fees and entrance fees. Think we will pick up one more. Just in case!

addy1, Aug 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. mgmine

j.w I Love my Goldies

We have one as you can share w/your spouse on entrance to parks etc.

j.w, Aug 14, 2017
  4. mgmine

teeemkay

I can't believe they are increasing the price so much. (Well, I BELIEVE it, but still...) I better tell hubs' parents to order theirs before the 28th--they travel out west a lot and go to the big parks (Grand Canyon, etc.)

teeemkay, Aug 14, 2017
  5. mgmine

j.w I Love my Goldies

Well darn I was gonna get another but we don't really need two. I just found out if you order online it costs $10 for the pass and a $10 processing fee. I will just make sure we don't lose the one we have. If you go to a park I don't think there is a processing fee. We didn't pay one when we got ours but maybe that too has changed.

j.w, Aug 14, 2017
  6. mgmine

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We bought our last one at the gate as you entered assateague island. I am going to pick up another one for back up. There is no processing fee at the gate, just 10 bucks. We are heading there this weekend for a few days.

Then we will have one in the RV, in my wallet, and two spares. They do save you a lot of money. If you go to national parks.

addy1, Aug 15, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  7. mgmine

Gemma

Seniors should have Free passes!!
    I mean common..most seniors struggle to live off their pensions, they should be able to at least enjoy Nature for Free!

Gemma, Aug 15, 2017
  8. mgmine

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I hear what you are saying, but I live a few miles from one of the most visited National Parks in the US...the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, and it is so run down. I've been told by several park rangers that their budget has been cut to the bone. In fact, I know of projects in the park that the rangers have done on their own without funding. The Delaware Water Gap Area used to be the largest summer vacation resort area in the US. At one time there were 50 resort hotels in the area. With the advent of the car, this all changed. Almost all of the resorts are gone, but some remnants/ruins still exist, but they are in deplorable condition. It is a shame this history is being allowed to die because of lack of funds.

MoonShadows, Aug 15, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question