Nationally known Pond Builder not supporting his build

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 3 yrs ago I obtained bids to build a custom koi pond. I had a specific design in mind to mimic and supplied a photo to bidders with the size of the pond designated. I obtain 3 bids. I chose the bid which was literally nearly 300% the cost of the other two at a bid of approximately 33K. I chose this builder because I saw that he was apparently well respected, having a presence on pond forums, and was published in national koi pond publications.
It was made very clear in the bid that the cost was fixed (remember again that his bid was nearly 300% the cost of the other two). He did complete the project and it was satisfactory (the length was notably shorter than was clearly discussed but still this was not a huge issue for me). After he was completed, and he requested his final draw, he said that he understood that his bid was fixed, but his costs were more than he anticipated. I actually gave him an additional 3K above the bid cost which he thanked me for.
Over the past several years multiple issues have occurred with the pond that I have requested his assistance. On each of these occasions, he has promised that he would try to make it out to address these issues, but does not show up when promised, and does not follow up. For these previous issues fortunately, I have been able to either figure out what the problem is, or am willing to accept the issues since they do not endanger the ability to run the pond in a healthy condition.
The most recent issue is purely aesthetic in nature involving a faulty underwater light, but he supplied me no information of the brand, or how it is wired. I would not dare attempt to fix it myself for fear of damaging the remaining functional lights. Even though the issue is purely aesthetic, when you pay 35K for a koi pond, aesthetics are important. I have written him, and as it is the usual pattern, he promised to order a new light, but never heard back. I have written him two additional times over the past months with no reply.
How would you address this issue. I feel I have attempted to ask nicely and have been patient, but this approach has not worked. Also let me make very clear, that I do not expect him to do anything without charging an appropriate fee for his time and expertise. I am perfectly willing to pay for his services. I am upset when he is ignoring my requests for him to support his build, when I have no way of addressing the problem without his assistance. I am considering "outing" him in forums since I do feel he needs to support his product, and if he does not, he deserves to be "outed."

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow for that money I would really contact who actually owns the company as he is probably just one of there people that buy there name .You can also contact his mother company online if he is one of there people because they don't like there name dragged through the mud and most don't like unhappy customers

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also would not have paid him the final amount until he made it right and if you have the cost in writing and you were not told ahead about more money in writing then he has to swallow the over cost .My basement contractor tried that and I took 3 thousand dollars off the final check because he did not do what was in the bid and he also got charged for each day he was late with the finished product ,it was all in the contract and he agreed on the contract

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I hate hearing reports such as this. I have been a design/build Pond contractor for close to 20 years. For those of us in the industry that believe in integrity, quality craftsmanship, service after the sale......you know, all of the things that a customer would normally and rightfully expect, one of our biggest sales obstacle is reports such as yours. A dissatisfied customer will tell more people of their frustration and disgust than a satisfied customer will ever relate to. This makes the selling of Water Features AND oneself as a competent contractor extremely difficult. Many of us in the industry would be more than happy to literally 'Tar and Feather' these Shams.
For what it is worth, we contractors are all not like that. Most of us are highly ethical and I am sorry that this happened to you.
There is nothing that you can do legal-wise because of the lapsed time period (3 years). And, unless you have documentation, it may be risky 'outing' this person by name on the internet.
I do have some influence in the Water Feature industry on a National scale. If you would PM me all of the pertinent information, including the company's name I am more than happy to investigate this for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Mr. Jordan for your offer. I have written the builder an additional email requesting the manufacturer and model number of the lighting that he has installed and a request on how I can replace it myself. As you mention, I also do not believe this is an issue of legal responsibility on the part of the builder to support his build, it is an issue of professionalism, and trust. I chose this builder to large extent based on his apparent national reputation (just checked to find multiple additional articles he has written in pond building publications). I will give the builder an additional opportunity to at least supply me with information so that I might address the issue on my own. If he does not reply, I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most pond lights if installed right have extra wire wrapped around them in the pond so they can be pulled out and bulbs changed or whole fixture replaced and also may have a name on the fixture or even on the plug that is plugged into the electric outlet.Also do you know if they are LED or halogen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe you can check to see if they wrapped extra wire around the lights ,most pro's do but considering what this one did to you I would not know

Ask a Question