Native fish pond

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum. Anyway I've always had a thing for native fish and would love to set up my own fishing pond some day( but alas it is just a dream) but anyway I was just wondering if I could keep some trout and or chubs in a 50 gallon pre made pond? There are no other fish in this pond and so Faron filtration.

Reaction score
I built an 1800 gallon pond last spring and have six adult pumpkinseeds, a kind of panfish, and ten or so black nosed dace minnows. All the fish were caught in a local creek. They seemed to do fine all summer but I am getting anxious to see how they fared over the winter. Trout like cold, moving water and 50 gallons just doesn't seem like enough for them to thrive. There are chubs in my local creek as well but I have not tried to keep any of them yet. Good luck to you.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Chubfarmer; I posted to your question last night, but it seems to have dissappeared, so here we go again. A few chub would do OK in your small pond. Trout of any variety, definitely not. Trout require cool, well-oxygenated water, and while you COULD do something about the O2, a pond that size would overheat quickly in our summer, leaving you with fish soup!
John

Reaction score
Chubfarmer,

Welcome! Your post caught my eye as I have a similar speculation. I raise bullheads and bluegills for bait to go catfishing and I am working on a new pond/tank to keep them.
As the other replies have stated, the trout are likely out of the question in that size of a tank. Here in Nebraska, they stock trout in a few local lakes but they only last for a
short time due to low oxygen levels and higher water temps. They are stocked mainly for people to fish them out right away early in the year. For trout, you must have highly clarified,
fast moving, clean, cold and highly oxygenated water. They will simply die in any other environment.

I am not sure what type of CHUB you are pondering. When I think of chubs, I think of a big fat minow about 6-12 inches long and big around as 1/2" - 3/4" and very fickle, very frail.

You may have good luck with the chubs, however. I know chubs are difficult to maintain, but if you research this, I am sure that you will find the proper method. I have kept a few alive
in my tanks in the past (these have been 2' x 8' x 28" metal stock tanks). With much aeration and consistent water flow (but gentle) I managed to keep the few I netted alive for a few days.

I wasn't purposely trying to keep the chubs. They just happened to be there and I caught them and put them into the tanks with all the other baitfish. If I really wanted to keep them long
term, I think I could by adjusting the tank setup and operation.

I am no expert on chubs and don't really incline to be in the future, but if you desire to, I bet you could.

Catfishnut

Ask a Question