Native minnows breeding

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just saw some eastern black nose dace fry swimming around in my juvenile terrapin pond. I didn’t think the dace would reproduce in the pond even though I did try to mimic their natural habitat at least a little bit when building the pond.

Also, one of the Johnny darters in there is looking kinda chubby, so it could be carrying eggs and getting ready to spawn, as well.

Would take pics, but the fry are maybe a 1/4” long, so not much to see. One of the reasons I enjoy ponds is you get surprises like that. May need to rethink the juvie blue gill and catfish in there, now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Nice.
I purchased some minnows for my pond a few years ago. Their population exploded from 20 to about 1000 within a few months and with the availability of food plus various predation, their population settled out at about the 1000 mark.
I love it when a pond balances out.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have about 15 juvenile dace in the pond about 1” long now. They hover under the turtles and grab the left overs, since turtles tend to make a mess when they eat.

Also, saw some little Johnny Darters in the pond, as well so apparently they did reproduce. Fun to see them scooting around on the pond bottom.

Ask a Question