native pond plants

SE18

David V
Reaction score
please limit to native plants (or invasive species that are "native") LOL

well, I've got some pretty algea but this year for some reason, no string algea. The algea I have is nice and the water is clear; anyway, I went on safaris in VA and MD for natives, wading thru ponds and streams and lakes for things growing under the water, floating and growing in the soil, Here's some photos; the yellow flowers are actually vines that grow in the water and branch out to the shore. I found them in Fort Meade, MD. The other plants are from Northern Virginia. The grass somehow got in there on its own. Some of the arrow head looking plants (the very thin leaves), I found in a Quantico VA estuary a couple years ago in brackish water, but they seem to like it here. There's not a single plant in my canals and streams and aqueduct that is purchased; all are native and come up nicely every year with no maintenance. Very hardy and price was free.

DaveV

Attachments

• DSC04077.jpg
    DSC04077.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC04079.jpg
    DSC04079.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC04169.jpg
    DSC04169.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC04170.jpg
    DSC04170.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC04241.jpg
    DSC04241.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 357

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The native ones around this area are in streams and the ones in lakes are native but never sure about which ones are to invasive for my small pond .I did get some cattails but they are to invasive .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks for inputs; guess those of you w/fish shouldn't really experiment unless the fishies are native too!

Maybe my canal, aqueduct has 1 more one-of-a-kind items besides linear and concrete: native plants

Cheers

mgannon

The Pond Hunter
Reaction score
pretty much any native I've played around with has done well (too well!) in my pond. It's a great way to get free plants and a relaxing outdoor task too.

Ask a Question