"Natural" constructed ponds with no electrical features

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Please share your experience on making a pond with no electrical features work: things to do and avoid! I would like to make this work, and am not having any issues so far but I want to head them off :). I will add solar powered assistance (pump, etc) *if* I can't make it work this way, but I know some people do and I'd like to hear about it.

For reference my pond is about 2000 gallons, 18" Max depth with shallower edges. I have a liner, some rocks so far, 5 tiny goldfish, and many water insects. A frog was also heard the other day. I'd kind of like to move my potted plants out of pots for a more natural look too, since the pots are clearly visible and don't look great, but they've been slow to establish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There will be some inflow of fresh water from drinking water overflow (spring and well water) at the top end of the pond once I get that plumbing fixed, and rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some pictures would be helpful. I have seen a few "natural" ponds without any pumps or aeration. It definitely can work. I don't know about the solar powered pump though - I don't think there are any pond pumps on the market that can run strictly on solar. It would be great if there were!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, at this point I'd really just like to know what other people have tried or done successfully in this regard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Look up Robert Pavlis -- Building Natural Ponds. He has a book you can get from Amazon and I think a video on YouTube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
18 inches may be a bit shallow, fish will seek deeper water to cool off in the heat of summer, plus take into account any ice from winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
18 inches may be a bit shallow, fish will seek deeper water to cool off in the heat of summer, plus take into account any ice from winter.
In my case the pond structure already existed and is concrete, so I'm working with the current size and just bringing it back to life. Luckily there is some shade over it and the ice doesn't typically get that thick.

Ask a Question