Natural self sustaining pond "How to"

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Ive moved from the UK to Poland and want to create a huge natural pond that will not go green and does not need a pump or filter. I spoke to soneone once who told me that a large pond would self maintain and not need filtering. He also said if i used s pump to create a waterfall etc. It would create ait which leadd to green water.

So i want a huge pond, swimable but also good for koi and plants.
Winters reach as cold as minus 35 at times. Summers reach as hot as plus 40.

Help me guys.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and we have lots of natural ponds here ,but most are farm ponds and I don't really know if they swim in them but I do know several who stock there ponds with fish .Here we get a couple of cold days usually the end of January and February ,but we do get days then also that can get up to 60 or 70 degrees F

Reaction score
Hi Again Guys

Thank you for the messages so far. I should have mentioned that the temperatures are in Celsius not Farenheit.
Summers reach 40 Celsius and Winters reach -35 Celsius.

The guy I previously spoke to was a pond/water expert who has also been on th TV. I moved away from the area years ago so have no way of speaking with him again.

From what he told me I recall that a large pond should go distilled and have no oxygen flow. If oxygen is pumped into the pond via a small ornimental waterfall or similar then this creats algea and makes it go green.

Its actually a shame I dont have the option of chatting to this guy again.

Reaction score
Sickdog said:
The guy I previously spoke to was a pond/water expert who has also been on th TV. I moved away from the area years ago so have no way of speaking with him again.
A pond expert is someone who thinks they know about ponds. Not the same thing as knowing anything about ponds. Being on TV is about being entertaining, not about knowing anything.
Sickdog said:
From what he told me I recall that a large pond should go distilled and have no oxygen flow. If oxygen is pumped into the pond via a small ornimental waterfall or similar then this creats algea and makes it go green.
I've never been on TV as a pond expert, but this makes no sense from a science perspective. It does sound entertaining however. Gas exchange happens at the water surface, no movement required. This is why billions of ponds and lakes over the last 450 million years have been able to support fish without pumps. Only in the last 50 years have pumps been required to get O2 into water...luckily the same time as when pumps were first sold.

Algae doesn't need added O2 to grow. During the day algae produces O2. At night is will consume O2 but is OK in low O2 water.
Sickdog said:
Its actually a shame I dont have the option of chatting to this guy again.
Not too worry. There are tons of people with the same complete lack of knowledge ready to tell you all kinds of crap. The internet was invented specifically for that purpose.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think you can pretty much file away the info that the person told you for now and start form scratch. I'm no expert and am new to ponds, but have experience in fish keeping, specifically reef tanks and basic water chemistry and biology. What it sounds like you want to do is to build a swimming pond, those have become a niche market and know of a few people that have done it.

It's basically a large, deep man made pond that requires management and maintenance to ensure a balanced Eco-system. If you google it, you find lots of info. It doesn't seem hard to do, but does require planning... The ones I've seen have a bog, marginal plant areas, rock/gravel bottoms and a recirculating pump/filter to keep water from being stagnant and control clarity.

Ask a Question