Natural swimming pond questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, new to this site but wanted some ideas and recommendations. I have multiple springs and a crystal clear spring feed creek in my back yard. I want to make a natural swimming pond and I have already dug a pretty good size spot out. My problem is that the hole fills up with spring water to a certain point and stops, I think when it get to that point it starts seeping through the sides. My plans are to take advantage of the spring water to keep it filled plus pump water from the nearby creek to have a constant flow through it. If I put a full liner in it would float up because of spring water or high water table so I was wondering if I could just use liner on walls and overlapping onto bottom a little and then using felt and river rock over that so spring water would still come through but keep mud from stirring up. Also plan on pumping from creek and letting it overflow on one end back to creek to keep it clean instead of using a filter system. Will all this work? I include pics. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_093259898_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_093259898_HDR.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, new to this site but wanted some ideas and recommendations. I have multiple springs and a crystal clear spring feed creek in my back yard. I want to make a natural swimming pond and I have already dug a pretty good size spot out. My problem is that the hole fills up with spring water to a certain point and stops, I think when it get to that point it starts seeping through the sides. My plans are to take advantage of the spring water to keep it filled plus pump water from the nearby creek to have a constant flow through it. If I put a full liner in it would float up because of spring water or high water table so I was wondering if I could just use liner on walls and overlapping onto bottom a little and then using felt and river rock over that so spring water would still come through but keep mud from stirring up. Also plan on pumping from creek and letting it overflow on one end back to creek to keep it clean instead of using a filter system. Will all this work? I include pics. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1597433924178.gif
@David Bullard
I don't have a clue on how to make the top edge of your pond hold water w/o putting a whole big liner in the whole thing and then like you say the spring water would just bubble it all up. I think your idea might slow it down but it would prolly still leak, just slower. I don't know for sure so don't quote me on this. What if you just dig away all the dirt to down lower than where it does not seep and make a path/berm around it so no run off can occur around it from the grass and add rock, plants etc. around the whole area. A lot of work but might work?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That may work. I was thinking about building up the walls around it a couple of feet either with dirt or maybe a rock wall or use the fake rock method to make the walls. That's if I can keep enough water pumped out to do anything. It would be nice if I could pinpoint exactly where spring is and concrete everywhere but where spring is.

Ask a Question