Nature is remarkable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just wanted to talk about my neighbor's amazing pond. I mentioned it elsewhere in passing, but I am so enamored of how nature can handle things on its own if the conditions are right..

My neighbor put in a pond about 30 years ago. Just a small (5 x 7), built-up pond with a little fountain and a few plants. No filtration unit or anything. He kept it pristine and babied his goldfish.

He sold the house to a young guy who knew nothing about yardwork or pondkeeping. He was a great guy, but the yard and pond went a little wild.

About 15 years ago, the current owner bought it. She loves the pond, but is busy, so she did minimal maintenance. About a year or so ago, she began a major renovation on her house. The electricity to the pond was turned off, so all aeration stopped. This was many months ago.

When I was up in her yard, I went to check out the pond. I expected to be eaten alive by mosquitos and find stinky water. Not at all! The water is very clear, and although the parrot feather needs thinning out, everything is great! The goldfish are having a fabulous time in there. Everything looks perfect and healthy.

Her next project is a landscaping re-do, including a professionally done pond makeover. But I thought I would share how well her pond has been doing all on its own. I just think it's neat!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bagsmom Which is one reason we're telling so many people to be patient and let nature take its course. If you'll notice, the people who post with problems are usually the ones with newer ponds (IOW, less experienced). The seasoned pond owners, through time & experience, have learned what works & what doesn't work. Mother Nature knows best!

Thanks for posting this story!

Ask a Question